Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I have no idea what the problem is or what to replace next.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 PM
blazerbuddy is on a distinguished road
Default I have no idea what the problem is or what to replace next.

I have a 1996 Blazer, Manual trans., 4x4... idk what else you need to know... oh yeah this stuff down here.
  • I have recently had some misfiring in rainy weather especially.The Engine light would come on maybe once or twice a month and go away later that day.
  • I tried to fix it by changing the Cap and rotor thinking they might be cracked.
  • Didn't work so I changed the plugs (correctly gapped) and wires.
  • When that didn't work I replaced the Ignition Coil.
  • Replaced the air filter with a K&N one (use them in all my cars).
  • Figured I'd replace the fuel filter while I'm at it.
  • None of this made any difference and the problem seemed to get worse over time. so I took it to a mechanic.
  • He said it was the cap and rotor so he replaced it again.
  • Didn't work so he replaced the MAF Sensor.
  • Problem Kind of went away but it was probably because the nice weather rolled around.
  • Driving down the highway the other day and it just all of the sudden died on me so I coasted off the road and had the truck towed.
  • Wouldn't start back up, used starting fluid and still wouldn't start.
  • AGAIN WILL NOT START ON STARTING FLUID!!!
  • It just cranks and cranks no sputtering or anything remotely close to actually starting.
  • The throttle works fine, and there is no visible damage anywhere.
  • Got a new computer from my local junkyard and replaced mine to see if that was it, didn't work so i put mine back and returned the other one.
  • Been looking on here and found it could be the Crankshaft position sensor so I replaced that today, had no different effect whatsoever.
  • I have a fuel pressure tester so I can get exact numbers but if it won't start on starting fluid I don't see why it would be a fuel problem.
  • I have no idea what can be wrong with the truck or what else needs replacing. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be and what I should try next?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Beginning Member
1995 Blazer is on a distinguished road

ok basicly i had a similar problem with my truck it always runs ruff not terrible but have no idea why but that besides the point one day i walk out to my truck it wont start same as u no spark so i go on my all day quest to get going again to make a long story short i changed the crank sensor and still nothing but the wires were touching and taped together in a split loom i took the out of the loom spead them out and bang it fired right up try having somebody start the truck when you jiggle the wires around mabe youll get something good luck.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem description points directly at an ignition problem. Since the coil, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor have all been changed, the last thing is the ICM (ignition control module). You can have this tested at most chain autoparts stores. The ICM is located on the same bracket as the coil pack and will have a small aluminum heat sink attached to the back side of it.

Have you verified that you are not getting spark?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM

I am not getting spark, verified that today. Took the ICM to be tested and of course they said it was bad, but the guy who tested it didnt really look like he knew what he was doing. Replaced my ICM but that didn't work. I think the battery may be close to dead with all of the "Starting" I've been doing so tommorrow I'm going to go try and jump it. If that doen't work I may just push it into the lake because I don't know where to go from there.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:40 PM

It didn't work on the jump. I don't know what else it could be I may trailer it to some place to have it scanned for codes and see if there are any codes coming off of it.