Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I need a new engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Luis Araiza is on a distinguished road
Default I need a new engine!!

I am in need of a new engine for my Blazer. Where do I go about getting a new one.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jasper engines, or if around the Nashville area Grooms engines or

Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member
noseback is on a distinguished road

junk yard...so many of these trucks around, or keep an eye on craigslist. alot of those people out there sell those trucks for parts or partical take off

Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

There are many places to get an engine and prices all over the place. Depends on if you are going to remove and install. I replaced my engine with a GM factory Rebuilt and replaced myself. If you want someone else to do it the best bet would be a local engine rebuilder who will remove, rebuild and re-install. They usually have competive prices and a warranty. Junkyard engines are a crap shoot. You could get one with a lot of life left in or you might get one that is on it's last leg. The junkyard option is probaly the cheapest especially if they will remove and install as well. Your budget and time availible and the desired warranty should lead you to the best option for you. An experienced installer is a big plus in my book. This will help ensure everthing get hooked up correctly, nothing else is broken and you do not have go back because of leaks or malfunctions.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Luis Araiza is on a distinguished road

How did you go about getting a GM factory rebuilt engine and transmission?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Any GM Parts counter. I called all the GM dealers in my area to find the best price. Even locally the price varied quite a bit. There are two engines a GM factory Rebuilt and an AC Delco rebuilt. The GM version has a better warranty. It does not matter who installs it. The engine I purchased was a GM Remanuafactored long block. Complete engine minus Intake and TBI, no sheetmetal or waterpump or fan clutch assy. But it does have heads and oil pump. Just need to transfer those items from the original engine. I have over 70K on the engine and it stills runs like new. I felt it was worth it as the warranty is covered by any GM dealer if there is a problem with the engine. I believe the warranty is 50K or 3 years. The good thing about the GM engines everthing is brought to GM specifications and any improvements are incorporated. Do a google search on Goodwrench Engines for more information. But any GM franchise can price it out for you. I did mine solo and it took me just under two weeks to remove transfer and install and fix any issues i had and then return the core. You might find online prices but the shipping costs and the core return will offset any savings you might find.

I pulled my receipt and on 12/08/03 I ordered the following engine from Dees Chevrolet: P/N 12361243 ENGLB4REM, Cost: $1701.00, Core: $200.00 On 12/29/03 I returned the core using my S15 Jimmy with the new engine.

Last edited by mr.vls; 02-01-2010 at 08:55 PM.