Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

idle high then stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
92K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road
Default idle high then stalls out

i own a 1992 chevy full size blazer (stock engine fuel injected)

well this problem first started when it stalled out on me going to the store and it wont start back up. At first i thought it was sugar in the gas tank. So i ripped that out. No sugar. After i though the fuel pump, so i replaces that and the whole sending unit. run for 10 seconds then stalled out again so i replaced the fuel filter. again ran for maybe 10 min no problem then stalled out agin. so i tryed it again, i have to give it a little gas to get it started, it runs fine when me foot is on the gas pedal, when i let go, it stalls. While it was running(foot on pedal) the exhaust smelt a little rich. So i though it mit be the idle air control. so i replaced that. now it start on its own, idles at a high rpm (about 1800 uasually around 1000) then it starts to lower then its about to stall, it trys to catch it self but stalls. I think its either a vacum leak or an intake manifold leak. i can't figure it out. any sugesstions.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would replace all of the gaskets associated with the throttle body. I have seen a number of them leak at the throttle body to intake manifold gasket. But I have also seen some of them leak at the injector pod to throttle body gasket which allows unmetered fuel into the intake.

You should also clean your EGR valve while you are at it.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
92K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road

fixed it. the problem was the ingnition coil and module. when it got to hot, it would start to send the wrong signals to the computer causing the engine to stall. replaced them and it ran great.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the follow up!