Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Ignition switch replaced - Limp mode remains

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member
rviolette84 is on a distinguished road
Question Ignition switch replaced - Limp mode remains

I've searched endlessly to read and avoid posting a concern that has already been covered, yet did not find anything quite accurate to my dilemma.
Last month I replaced my pwm and tcc solenoids in the valve body of my '98 blazer LS due to converter shudder I was experiencing in overdrive. I now know, after reading everyone's advice, that the solenoid bores are causing that shudder. Ever since replacing the solenoids my trans has been in limp mode. No 1st gear, take off in 2nd, manually shift to 3rd, and then OD. After exhausting the hell out of this forum and reading all the advice that the blazer veterans offered, I called a transmission guy in my area and he confirmed what everyone said on here and told me to replace my ignition switch. I replaced it today, and because I researched it extensively, it went perfect and without a single problem. (Thanks to you guys!) Well, low and behold, after replacing it, nothing changed! Limp mode remains and the trans still wants to take off in 3rd if put in overdrive. Had to play the same game of taking off in 2nd and manually shifting from there. If there's anyone who reads this and can think of something I should try, please help. Please also be merciful if I did violate the rule of posting a covered topic! Thank you to anyone with advice!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

mine was caused by my ign/gau fuse breaking every 4 hours or so. everytime i would replace the fuse i would have back my first gear. i was googling the ign/gau fuse issue and found a thread about how to fix it, basically with my 93 blazer the computer for whatever reason was not sending the appropriate grounds to the solenoids to go into first gear.

BUT thats about all the help im going to be, my truck isnt a street truck its a trailered offroad truck. so after running my own ground i have my first gear back and can manually shift all the gears no problem.... which ive always had to do cause my vehicle speed sensor isnt hooked up.

i did this about a year ago the thread actually told how to fix it but i dont remember if i saved it and wont be near my home computer til monday night

but for starters, check all your fuses just for the heck of it. for some goofy reason theres a bunch of stupid stuff running on the ignition switch fuse, like rear defrost. so basically if your rear defrost is shorting out it can cause your trans to mess up lol

Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the response! I'll give it a try and see what happens

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Beginning Member

So, today I went out, checked all my fuses, and found none blown. Also, I checked for power, no issues there. I decided to take a quick trip to the store, so I started it up, put it in overdrive just to test my luck and WTF! It took right off in first like it should! Took off out of my driveway and same thing! Once going down the street however, I noticed that the shifts seemed wacked. Approaching the next intersection (less than half a mile from my driveway) I pulled away from a dead stop and once again, limp mode. Took off in 3rd and had to manually shift from 2nd. I'm 2 seconds away from just buying a rebuilt tranny from either Performabuilt or MadDog Transmissions. Never hafta deal with this garbage again!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you just never know 100 percent that its the tranny. like i said mine was kinda doing the same thing and it was more or less a wiring or computer issue. i never really fixed the problem fully cause i didnt care. with it being a offroad truck i only needed first gear.

sorry wish i could help more but i understand your frustration