Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
chevygirl350 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Issues...

OK guys, I need help. I have a 2001 blazer, 4wd. Grandpa bought it at 160K miles and it wass junk, and he gave it to me to so it could bring me nothing but hell....
Tranny was rebuilt at around 161K and the shop gave me a limited lifetime warranty. well, afterward there was this stupid misfire that had my attention after that, so I couldn't tell that if the rebuild helped the shifting at all because it still ran like crap. Well, the misfire didn't go away until the block was pulled, noticed that one whole side of the block was ...burnt.... SO...New block at 180K took care of the misfire, but its still shifting weird. Its going almost straight from first to fourth. As in... 1----2-3-4----.......
I took it in, the shop said it was the PCM (even though my other mechanic, who did the motor, said BS). so i replaced the PCM, of course, no change. I took it back, and they CLAIM they swapped trannys and it didn't make a difference.
ANY IDEAS?!?!?!
I love my Chevys. I only own my blazer and a camaro, but I have a ******* brother who blew up my car, and so it's only been my blazer for a while. It's my baby and I need help!!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Smile

1s off welcome to the site and welcome to a new kinda chevy,The aint nothing like the old ones.Your right welcome to the hellish world of blazers.is your Blazer throwing any codes like the slip code for the trans or do you not feel any shifting between 2nd to overdrive?A bit of advice if this is your baby treat it as such alot patience LOLYour going to need it.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

+1 to jimmy.

anyway, it sounds like it might be the valve body in the transmission. BUT without driving it, i cant say for sure 100%. and i would like to know how the shop you took it to put in a completely different transmission. did they just happen to have one lying around that no one was using???? sounds like BS to me as well. you might have to bite the bullet on this one and take it to another trans shop and see if you can work a deal with them. but we will see what everyone else on here has to say. i think its valve body, but i could be wrong. wait for some more replies and then take an educated shot at it.

there are quite a few good, smart people on here, you just have to be patient.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Unhappy

thanks guys......
jimmyowner...
the shop said there were no codes... but before I took it in, there was definitely one code, but it was for the 4wd low switch.... and you can feel feel the shifting..it nose-dives right before it does shift
twip....
yes, supposedly they just had another laying around.... which i agree is BS. my boyfriend (also without driving it, or even looking at it) thinks that it could be the bands and the clutches being out of sync. he also said he thinks i should pull it from the shop and take it elsewhere, like to a GM dealer, because we know they'll charge out the ***, but they know what they're doing (most days)

So, I'm very much still open for ideas

Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It's possible that it's caused by a bad shift solenoid, but if the truck hasn't thrown any codes it's really hard to tell for sure. I would definitely take it to a different mechanic for a 2nd opinion though.

If it is a shift solenoid they're not hard to change. My brother just replaced the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift solenoids on a 2001 blazer that we're selling and he did it in less than 2 hours in his garage with hand tools. The symptoms for our Blazer was that if you put it in Drive it would start out in 3rd or 4th gear (hard to tell for sure). The only way to get it into 1st was to select it with the gear shift, and then if you started in 1st, and got moving when you moved the shifter to 2nd or Drive it would shift very harshly. Popped in the 2 shift solenoids (about $30 in parts) and a new transmission filter and now she shifts smooth and nice.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM

Dont take it to the dealer go find yourself a reputable trans shop for further diagnosis.By the desription seems like something wasnt put together right when they rebuilt the trans the 1st time.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Oh I'll definitely take it somewhere for a second opinion, I'm just real hesitant as to where I should take it. The shop who has my warranty was supposeably reputable, but I fully agree that they didn't do something right when they rebuilt it the first time.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 PM

By what it seems the builder didnt put the friction plates and steels in correctly.Its either than or something in the valve body isnt working properly.I rebuilt the trans in my Jimmy so Im familair with the internals.I dont know if you theres someway you can force the shop to honor the warrantee you got but if its possible I would do it.Im not sure either about the terms of the warrantee limited lifetime?Im assuming that their work is supposed to be garanteed from from defect which means if something was done wrong they should take it out replace with comparible rebuilt unit or fix yours.If you can get them to do anything file a complaint with the BBB.Meanwhile do a follow up with this shop asap and take a guy friend with you to chew their azz if need be.Let us know what happens then we can see about getting your Baby back on the road.Oh as an alternitive have you thought about a new engine for your camaro?

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 03-17-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member
dehackin is on a distinguished road

x2 jimmy

Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM

The only way I can think of to get the shop to honor the warranty is if I get someonen who does know the internals of the tranny to tell them that they screwed up... They told me as long as I owned the vehicle, the tranny's under warranty. I've got a file waiting for a BBB if things need to go that route, but I'll definitely keep checking on here, and keep it updated....
As of my camaro... it's in bad shape. Rule #1: hide keys from high school "know-it-alls"... the smf scrapped my motor and tranny, so I'd need both ... plus a radiator, and whatever else is missing. the whole front end is just the frame and the azzhole put my fenders in the backseat and totally destroyed the front bumper clip. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin with it. It makes me cry to see her like that... It was supposed to be my project drag car, and it ran beautifully, but stock... my brother decided to take it to high school drags while i was out of state, and blew my radiator and motor for sure, who knows what else happened though...

Quick Reply: Issues...