Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Issues after installing a remanufactured engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NoFlopScott
I used a BWD cap & rotor
I'm not saying that is adding to your problems, but one thing that seems very consistent that I see in this forum is using anything other than AC Delco for secondary ignition parts (even some sensors have been mentioned) either may not work correctly out of the box, or will fail in a short amount of time.

Looking at your issues I see a few things that seem common in the forum:

-One thing I have learned is that fuel delivery does not set any DTC when there is a problem. So since you have no DTC...maybe want to start with a fuel leakdown test to make sure you you don't have fuel delivery issue. If you don't have one, get a loaner fuel pressure gauge from auto parts store and hook it up to the service port on the fuel line. Key ON, engine OFF for first ~2 seconds while pump is on pressure must read between 60-66psi. For at least 10 minutes after that the pressure cannot drop below 55psi. This is an easy test and extremely common problem (though I don't thin it's the only one). This is the first thing I would do before going after other things (even the crank relearn).

-Plugs getting spark: What color is the spark? Should be a bright blue, orange indicates weak spark.

-#1 cylinder issues: Sounds like that is not firing at all...from your pic, the plug is firing..could be the reason you have gas smell in the oil. Also could have to do with the spider injector. I'm not very smart on that at all so you will have to search around on here. It's covered hundreds of times.

-Oil pressure gauge reading 0 would freak me out. But it may only be bad sensor. You may want to check that out with ohm meter(?) But for my piece of mind I would be hooking up a mechanical gauge to insure I have oil pressure.

-The only tapping sounds I am familiar with is when a lifter is not getting oil. But I don't see how that could be an issue since the engine is "new"

Do the fuel leakdown test first and let us know your results.

P.S. But even before the fuel leakdwon, go to this link and read through the threads...VERY educational: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...e-first-30093/

Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member
NoFlopScott is on a distinguished road
Exclamation (death) nail on the head

-The only tapping sounds I am familiar with is when a lifter is not getting oil. But I don't see how that could be an issue since the engine is "new"
Changed the oil, everything full, tight, good. Drove to dealership to have them do relearn. Effing engine seized up. This was 15 minutes ago, but I'm guessing that lifter for number 1 wasn't getting oil, among the other problems.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Changed the oil, everything full, tight, good. Drove to dealership to have them do relearn. Effing engine seized up. This was 15 minutes ago, but I'm guessing that lifter for number 1 wasn't getting oil, among the other problems.
I'm pretty sure lifter alone wouldn't cause the engine to seize...in this case it might have been more of a symptom. Very sorry to hear the engine seized on you. I'd get on the phone and start working that warranty. Which actual chain did you get it from (Autozone, Pep Boys, etc)? I'd like to know how it works out for you because I know my engine came from the same supplier.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Soo I guess this means the oil pressure gauge wasn't to far off? By reading nothing????:icon:i con_couchhide:

Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Btw, as mentioned by rockp2..... U need to do a fuel pressure leak down!!!!!!!! I'm sure the rich condition,and the gas in oil was caused by a leaking spider