Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Junkyard trans or rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Junkyard trans or rebuilt?

My trans is slipping and will need a rebuilt within the next few months but I'm also considering just grabbing one from the JY and tossing it in since funds are pretty tight right now.

The rebuild will cost me just under 1100 including the rear main seal (if that's where my oil leak is) but will also cost me 3-5 days without my truck. That means 3-5 days of a rental car or no work. It does carry a 12 MO/12K warranty.

A JY trans would probably only cost 200ish (more/less?) and I could probably get my brother to help me toss it in some weekend. However, a JY trans only has a 30 day warranty.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

junk yard trans could run you probelms 3 months later who knows id rather go with rebuilt also i got the leak in the rear of my trans too its the drive shaft seal thats going .

Old 05-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

I hear ya on the tight fund issue, but personally I'd have it rebuilt if I could. A JY trans you never know the real history or how it's been treated. Its a big price difference but there is a reason for that

Old 05-08-2011, 03:08 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nineTnine
I hear ya on the tight fund issue, but personally I'd have it rebuilt if I could. A JY trans you never know the real history or how it's been treated. Its a big price difference but there is a reason for that

what he said . he said it in a better way !

Old 05-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

If you want look at car-part.com these salvage yards will offer you the option of an extended warranty. So, will offer 1, 2, 3yr or lifetime warranties.

Check to see if it would be worth your time....but, like said above the JY trans will be a "crap" shoot. It is really up to you...funds are tight for most everyone I do believe. Good Luck.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:54 PM

The other thought I had was if I went JY trans I could probably fix the ac before it gets too hot, haha.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
BF Guru

[quote=TheRandom1;431120]The other thought I had was if I went JY trans I could probably fix the ac before it gets too hot, haha.

lol i rather fix the trans but i wouldnt buy a jy trans only god knows what that trans been tru

Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Well ideally I want both fixed,haha. However the trans is first before anything else, even my stereo.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:37 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Well ideally I want both fixed,haha. However the trans is first before anything else, even my stereo.

yep. i gotta change the seal on my trans where the shaft go in . it dont leak much but it might sooner or later

Old 05-08-2011, 06:01 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

I bought my transmission out of a junk yard , and its like a brand new one . The only problem is I didn't realize that olds bravadas had all wheel drive . And I already turned in my old transmission as a core and I needed the tail shaft off the transmission because the bravada transmission makes my transfur case lower to the ground , so I couldn't get my front drive shaft in . I have the new part now , now I just have to get it in before the mudd races two weeks away and counting .

Quick Reply: Junkyard trans or rebuilt?