Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Junkyard trans or rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by atvwarrior
I bought my transmission out of a junk yard , and its like a brand new one . The only problem is I didn't realize that olds bravadas had all wheel drive . And I already turned in my old transmission as a core and I needed the tail shaft off the transmission because the bravada transmission makes my transfur case lower to the ground , so I couldn't get my front drive shaft in . I have the new part now , now I just have to get it in before the mudd races two weeks away and counting .

GL on ur races

Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've used a JY trans in the past. Couple of tips.

Get a warrantee. No warenttee no deal.
Make sure the tranny was recently pulled and has fluid in it.
When you swap it in, buy a bottle to tranny treatment and put that in instead of one quart of tranny fluid.
Replace the front seal, dipstick tube seal, and if you have a 2wdr rear seal. If a 4x4 replace the t-case input seal.
Lubricate all the new seals with tranny fluid, nothing else.
Flush the tranny lines, before you hook it up to teh nused tranny.

If you pull the tranny pan, it will tell you the condition of the tranny. Full of black metalic fluid, pass on it.
If the fluid smells burnt, pass on it.
If you pull the pan, replace the filter and seal. Do NOT use gasket sealer on the tranny pan gasket.
Make sure you pull the old filter o-ring and replace it with the new one.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:39 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hanr3
I've used a JY trans in the past. Couple of tips.

Get a warrantee. No warenttee no deal.
Make sure the tranny was recently pulled and has fluid in it.
When you swap it in, buy a bottle to tranny treatment and put that in instead of one quart of tranny fluid.
Replace the front seal, dipstick tube seal, and if you have a 2wdr rear seal. If a 4x4 replace the t-case input seal.
Lubricate all the new seals with tranny fluid, nothing else.
Flush the tranny lines, before you hook it up to teh nused tranny.

If you pull the tranny pan, it will tell you the condition of the tranny. Full of black metalic fluid, pass on it.
If the fluid smells burnt, pass on it.
If you pull the pan, replace the filter and seal. Do NOT use gasket sealer on the tranny pan gasket.
Make sure you pull the old filter o-ring and replace it with the new one.

Good luck and enjoy.

very nice guide listen to this and you ll get somewhere with a jy tran

Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Lots of good information there. However since I know very little about transmissions (other than the fluid/filter is a royal PITA to change, and what little I've learned from Musclecar and whatnot) it seems like just trying to make mine last until I have the cash is a better option.

That said, does that Lucas Transmission Stop Slip actually do anything? I picked up a bottle the other day and figured it wouldn't hurt to toss it in, but haven't yet.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

To keep this simple, yes those type of products do work to a point.
Let me elaborate a little.

Your transmission has seals, when the tranny gets hot those seals get hard and leak. Those type products cant soften the seals, however they can help seal the leaks.
When the seals leak, they cause the transmission to slip more, which means it gets hotter, causeing the seals to leak more, and the cycle continues, until total failure. Heat is the number one reason trannys fail. Now, as for those tranny products, tehy work to a point. They wont fix the transmission, however they will buy you some time before total failure. Having said that, tehy wont do a thing if you dont use them.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Makes sense, ill toss it in today. Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Also one other thing to think about. It might seem like obvious. But if you DO go the route of getting a JY tranny. Try to find one in a truck that has been smashed. If you pull one from a nice looking truck, for all you know it could be the tranny that was the reason they trashed it. But if you get a tranny from a smashed truck, provided it didn't damage the tranny in the process, you know that the truck was actually running/moving when it was junked.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 PM

that makes sense too.

Next question. I looked it up online and Enterprise wants to charge me nearly 200 dollars for a rental for the week it'll take to rebuild the trans.

Would I be better off buying a JY trans (how much do you think?) and having that rebuilt?

My thought was, I have every other Friday off of work. I could drop the JY trans off one week, let the shop rebuild it, then drop my truck off the following Thursday after work, have them swap the trans on Friday and get a ride up there to pick it up. That way I'm (hopefully) saving money.

If I do go that route since I'll be getting the trans rebuilt anyways, anything to look out for? Aside from the obvious cracked case or broken tabs or anything, that is.