Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Keep that MAF Sensor Clean!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 AM
b1heqh54 is on a distinguished road
Default Keep that MAF Sensor Clean!!

I've had problems with a bottom end bog in my 2DR 2000 Blazer for some time now. With 215,000 kms on the odometer I wasn't all that surprised so I started with the basics, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor. Nothing. Next I found one of the coil wires shorting out on the armature of the coil and fixed that - improved starting in wet weather, but still had the heavy sluggish hesitation off the line. Fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, all to no avail. Then it threw a code - MAF out of range (can't remember the P-code off hand and didn't write it down). I reset it and kinda put it on the back burner. After about a week of sleeping on it, I decided to have a look. I wasn't too keen on spending $150 bucks, so I removed the MAF housing from the aircleaner and intake hose and then using a torx, I removed the MAF sensor from the aluminum housing.
At first glance, all looked fine, but I decided that it was out, so I filled a Ziploc baggie with methyl hydrate (denatured alcohol), put the sensor inside and shook the sh#t out of it. Then I took an old toothbrush and very carefully brushed the wires and resistors. (VERY CAREFULLY), and re-assembled everything.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! In fact, I couldn't believe it! My truck went from tired to running like it just rolled off the lot. I've never, never, never seen anything so effective at restoring lost power. If this is something you've never done, I highly recommend giving it a go. Cleaning my MAF sensor is now part of my oil change routine, and I can't wait to see how much gas mileage improves!! Always good.

Eastbound and down...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure makes a difference. That's why its one of the recommended preventative maintenance suggestions for just about any driveability concern.

Cleaning it at every oil change seems a bit excessive, but so long as you don't damage it, it shouldn't be a problem.