Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Kickdown cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Beginning Member
Gaberoberson is on a distinguished road
Default Kickdown cable

hey guys, so im not really good with motors so i need some help. Im new to this whole forum thing as well. I just bought a 91 s10 blazer with a 4.3 l vortec v6. I was just messing around under the hood and i saw this thing just dangeling. Later my friend told me it was the transmission knockdown cable. I filed it down so it would fit on there, but realized when i step on the gas it doesnt pull it at all cause its being pulled from the left. If anyone can help tell me whats going on here and where this goes it well help a whole lot. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

The actualy wire cable fastened with the black zip tie in the photo is the transmission kickdown cable. IIRC the rod with the long slot is for the cruise control.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member
Default Kickdown connector

Thank you! So what kind of connector should i get for it and how to adjust it. My truck has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd. It revs real hugh and then kicks to 2nd.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gaberoberson
Thank you! So what kind of connector should i get for it and how to adjust it. My truck has a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd. It revs real hugh and then kicks to 2nd.
Time for a trip to the junkyard to see what it's supposed to have. Need to have the proper hookup before you can adjust it correctly.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 AM
Starting Member
Fixxer is on a distinguished road

Looks to me like the cable end is broken off. I think you will likely need a replacement TV cable. It should have a molded plastic piece on the end that snaps down on a stud on your throttle body linkage. My experience has been that once that breaks off, the only fix is another cable. That being said, once you get your replacement cable- cut that zip-tie and completely remove the cable from the throttle body. You will need some needle nose pliers to squeeze the cable out of the bracket. The cable is held into the trans by a 10mm bolt- make sure and have a drain pan handy as there will be a couple quarts of fluid that will spillout. Carefully pull the cable out of the trans. there is a small hook that attaches the cable to the Throttle Valve. Carefully unhook the cable from the hook and remove the cable from the truck. Make sure that the seal came out with the cable, if not, remove the seal from the hole where you removed the cable in the trans. Install a new seal on the cable- attach the cable to the hook- and rebolt the cable to the trans. Now go back under the hood and snap the cable into the hole where you removed the old cable. snap the cable end over the lower stud on the throttle body linkage (right next to where the old cable was zip tied). If you look on the big plastic piece of the cable that you snapped into the bracket, you will see a button. Push the button and pull the cable back toward the firewall until it stops. Now simply open the throttle all the way- the cable will snap several times and automatically adjust. Enjoy

Old 07-19-2018, 12:34 AM
Starting Member
Fixxer is on a distinguished road

It also looks like you are missing your return spring- might want to get one of those too- It is supposed to go from that little hole above the zip tie and attach to that black bracket next to the TV cable.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 AM

I'm thinking your vehicle has had some sort of engine swap and the linkage for throttle is wrong (but apparently working). TV cable does not appear to be compatible at all. Above is 1989 S10 with 4.3. Should be the same as 1991 S10 Blazer. Note that throttle cable is supposed to come in from a completely different direction and connection for it is completely different. Guess I'll check and see if throttle cable is the same part for both years.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-19-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:06 AM

Here's a photo of a new throttle body for the 1991. Matches the 1989 s10 in my last post and is completely different from the throttle linkage in your photo. Sorry but it looks like you've got a bubba engine swap! You might be able to put the correct throttle body on your manifold and hook up the cables, but I would proceed carefully.

p.s. a 700R4 trans will not be long for this world without a proper TV cable adjustment. This is a known issue with them.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-19-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member
Default Tv cable

Soo i just ordered this replacement cable, it should be here tommorow. I really appreciate the advice as i would still be very lost on what to do next. Hopefully this has the correct connecter for my throttle lever since it isnt the original. I will let yall know tommorow when i attempt to put it on. Hopefully it goes smoothley and fits right

Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Beginning Member

Quick Reply: Kickdown cable