Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

knock knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Starting Member
ejschultz is on a distinguished road
Default knock knock

i've got one... sucks. on top of replacing the rods, what else needs to be done?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may not have to replace the rods. Have them checked out before making that conclusion.

I would do a full rebuild. Rings, crank/rod bearings, all gaskets, clean the heads and lap the valves.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Starting Member
ejschultz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You may not have to replace the rods. Have them checked out before making that conclusion.

I would do a full rebuild. Rings, crank/rod bearings, all gaskets, clean the heads and lap the valves.
sure sounds like a lot of stuff to do...lol. it's something i'll eventually get around to doing. i took the truck to a local mechanic who usually helps me out with stuff when i don't know what i'm doing. he said he'd drive it till it dies, but i'm not sure that's what i want to do. i'd rather fix the situation. he also told me that he's seen them run for years the way mine's knocking. it's not knocking at idle, but at about 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm. it's a real quiet knock. i'm thinking for now i'm going to put some additive into the oil to quiet it down a little more then have my "main guy" take a look at it and see what he says. well, i should probably have him look at it before i put the additive in there. it also may be a carbon knock according to him. the kid i purchased it from let it sit for about 6 months in the driveway. he didn't even start it. i've seafoamed it twice, but maybe i could do it again. have you ever used the b44 (i think that's what it's called, i can't seem to find it anywhere online) cleaner? i've seen it at some shops, but they say it's a professional engine cleaner. i'm thinking it's kind of like a more powerful seafoam. if i do end up doing a rebuild on the engine, i'm sure i'll have many more questions for everyone.