Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Leaking radiator fluid, intake manifold leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

left the CPS off when I put the distributor cap back on *smacks forehead*
Got it back on. Now my tach is working, but the engine is still running sluggish and with a few quirks. One of which was if I gas it, the SPEEDOMETER goes up a little bit, even though I'm parked.

What really concerns me is the smoke and the sluggishness. If all the smoke was coming just from the tailpipe, I would just write it off as being the engine burning off that yellow sludge that was left. But because it's coming from the engine bay, I don't know what to think. Also, the components in the engine bay are getting VERRRY hot.

I've got the radiator cap turned only to the first 'notch' so that I can burp the system as Matthew directed. After I shut the engine down the 1st time, I heard air rushing back through the upper radiator hose. I suppose this is what it means to burp it.

Looks like at least for now the Jimmy lives to drive another day, albeit at reduced power and fuel economy.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear we could help. As for the smoke, what color is it?

Blue smoke is oil.
White smoke is water (coolant).
Black smoke is unburnt fuel.

It may be clue as to why your engine is running like garbage. If it is black smoke check the plugs, some of that gunk might fouled one of your plugs.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

So update,
the car is working again, engine is running great, but the car has some new quirks.
Ever since I did the intake manifold gaskets there has been leaking of oil. When I look under the car, the oil looks like it has been sprayed all over different locations, including the trans crossmember, the exhaust, and some other things. The oil leak isn't very severe, but it's dripping from all the parts where it's sprayed onto, and dad's getting pissed about the oil on the driveway.

ALLLLSO, I'm getting a PO171 code, I don't know if it's related or not.

And when I turn to the left, sometimes I'm getting some feedback from the steering wheel.

I think the oil leak may be because I didn't put enough RTV on the lower intake manifold before re-install.
I hear tell the po171 is from a bad O2 sensor.
I'll have to get more info on the steering problem before I can I.D. it.