Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Limp-home mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Migra311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Limp-home mode

Guys/gals-

Thanks for the great forum. I have used the forum many times, along with my trusty Haynes manual to repair what is within my capabilites on my 2000 Blazer.

My question is, are most of these procedures applicable to a 94 Sierra 4.3/4L60E?

For example, I found this link: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-articles-diy-29/4l60e-information-common-problems-compilation-37689/ and my problem appears to be:

Trans shifts into gear harshly, 3rd gear starts, manual 2nd available but no 1st, no 4th, and no TCC lockup: No power to transmission, or trans is in limp-home mode. Check trans fuse underhood, and make sure transmission electrical connector is plugged in. Easy fix.

What is "limp-home mode" ? This is a fault mode in which the transmission either loses electrical power or the PCM deactivates all of the electronics. The transmission will default to max line pressure. The driver will have Reverse and 3rd, with manual 2nd available by putting the gearshift in 2 or 1 (doesn't matter). 1st, 4th, and TCC lockup will not be available. It will not hurt the car to drive it like this for short periods, but use manual 2nd to get the car moving, and be aware that the trans will generate more heat than normal while operating in limp-home mode due to increased torque converter slippage during 2nd gear starts and no lockup in 3rd gear.

I can't find an underhood fuse for the tranny; the one in the dash appears to be good. A week ago the tranny was shifting fine; I had a local mechanic replace the starter as I didn't have the time and needed the truck. Upon return, the service engine light was on and I was stuck in limp. AutoZone was unable to check the light on anything older than '96; a borrowed code reader from O'Reilly said no codes present.

Any suggestions? I'll be checking PCM connections, perhaps change O2 sensor tomorrow in the daylight.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Greg

PS: Forgot to add, no fuses/links/relays under the hood that I can see, other than for fuel pump

Last edited by Migra311; 09-19-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to add info