Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

loud grinding problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Starting Member
ejschultz is on a distinguished road
Default loud grinding problem

I'm not sure if this is a tranny problem or a transfer case problem. I was driving today and had the windows down. I heard a loud clanking sound coming from what seemed to be under the truck. I could feel it in the floor. It seems to happen when the truck is in first gear at around 2000-3000 rpm. I checked the tranny fuid and it's somewhat clear with black specks in it. Probably needs a flush and filter. Any ideas? By the way, it's a 95 Jimmy 4x4.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

your going to want to make sure those black specs arent metal...if there is a large amount it is bad (if they are metal chunks)

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Starting Member

i'm really hoping they arent. it's got a documented rebuilt tranny with only like 15000 miles on it.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

ouch is it still under warranty?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This happens only when the truck is in 1st gear and only at that RPM? My initial thought was possibly a broken flex plate, but the specific speed and only in 1st gear does not really jive with that...

With 15k miles on a recent rebuild, you should not need a flush or filter change.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Starting Member

if i'm not mistaken, the warranty was not transferable which really sucks. i think i'm going to take it for a flush and filter today, i know it shouldn't need it yet, but i'm going to see what that can do for it. maybe they'll be able to point out the problem when they're doing that then attempt to *** rape me on price.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Starting Member

on second thought, i'm going to skip the trans flush and filter. checking the fluid last night was probably not the best idea since it was dark and i'm colorblind. turns out the trans fluid is fine and full, just like it should be with only 15k on the rebuild. however, there is some corrosion on the trans fluid dipstick. does anyone know where i could acquire a new one? That corrosion would account for the specs i saw last night. there's not much at all in the trans fluid, but i'd like to get a new one before more of it gets in there.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The dealer would be a likely source. If the price is not in the right range, feel free to heckle them on it. They can and will come down.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Starting Member

thanks because i quickly found out that autozone and advance auto are not the best places to get that. they have aftermarket parts for it with no way of getting even something close to an original.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Starting Member

back to my original problem, could this be the catalytic converter? i had a mechanic tell me that they do make loud noises at certain rpms when they're going bad. i did have to replace my cpi because it was literally dumping gas all over the place. the kid that owned the jimmy before me blew the cat off the bottom of the truck because it filled with gas and heated up because of the cpi. i did drive it for just a little bit with the cpi leaking so i'm sure the cat was damaged because of that. is this a possibility?

Quick Reply: loud grinding problem