Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ls1 or lt1

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Starting Member
spankyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ls1 or lt1

i was just woundering cause i have been thinking about putting an ls1 or an lt1 motor in my 2000 blazer 4x4 an i was jw if 4000 would be enuf to have it done

Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

do you have the motor already?? if not i would start looking around and pricing the motor and all of the items needed for the swap, another thing to think about is are you looking to buy the block and build the motor urself or buying a motor thats ready to go and be bolted in. theres alot of info on this site about the motor swap subject try searching for some just so you can get an idea of how big of an undertaking this is.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:39 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

You're more than likely going to have to replace the transmission, new gear ratios, several small things that'll add up real quick on top of the cost of a motor. If you're buying a new motor and having someone install it, I think it will cost 5-6k but that depends on several things such as where you get the motor, who installs, the transmission you get, etc.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:10 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

okvortec-the ls 5.7L will bolt right up to the tranny and as far as the gear ratio's it depends on wat ratio he already has in the blazer i beleive watever stock ratio he has will do just fine the only reason to change the ratio after the swap would be to get an increase in performance/mpg's

Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

His title says Ls1 or LT1. What's the difference?

Asked by an ignorant kiwi.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 AM

the lt1 is an older motor and has an iron block and is 350 c.u.(about 300hp) and the ls1 is an aluminum block 346 c.u. (about 350hp)

Old 04-13-2009, 04:36 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

OK. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Starting Member
spankyy is an unknown quantity at this point

okay thanks for the info as of right now its all stock an im jw cause i was ither thinking about changen the motor or just turbo chargin the 4.3 what would u guys do

Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
okvortec-the ls 5.7L will bolt right up to the tranny and as far as the gear ratio's it depends on wat ratio he already has in the blazer i beleive watever stock ratio he has will do just fine the only reason to change the ratio after the swap would be to get an increase in performance/mpg's
And who wouldnt want to increase performance/mpgs when putting in a bigger, better motor

Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okvortec
And who wouldnt want to increase performance/mpgs when putting in a bigger, better motor
You typically will not get both... Lower the gear ratio (numerically higher) often results in lower MPGs, but will improve acceleration. It really depends on how the vehicle is driven and what its intended use is.

We have had the discussion of whether to turbo or drop a v8 in before.

Quick Reply: ls1 or lt1