Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ls1 or lt1

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

hence the "/" and not a "both"

I was just saying that he should because.. honestly, what's the point in a bigger motor without making some adjustments to get it to perform better? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but that's what bigger motors are for?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You get increased performance from the swap itself. That is a given.

If budget were no concern.... By all means, throw gears at it. But then, which ones do you install??

You need to know what you are working with in the first place and then know how the vehicle is to be used. To suggest swapping out the gears without knowing either of those two things is a bit premature.

Then you have to know what the OP considers to be "performance". Is his perception of performance increased 1/4 mile time or maybe the highest speed attainable by that combination. Both could result in different gear ratio selections.

There is no stock answer to whether or not a gear change is necessary for any application.

And actually, the use of "/" to me implies both. Shame on both of you for using it.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Haha I understand where you're coming from, way too many variables to get a agreeable answer! I guess it's my opinion that I wouldn't swap a motor unless I was going to go ALL-OUT and do everything. The faster the better! :P

Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Beauhawk is on a distinguished road

Spankyy, unless you're building a drag/track demon, I would stay away from turbo. The advantage of turbo is LOTS of horses (and torque) but it will come on very late compared to the 350.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't have much Blazer experience, but owns, has driven, and has worked on turbo cars.

I think the stock gearing would be fine on a 350, as you will have more torque...everywhere!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Xtremechubs is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the middle of swaping a 5.3 into my blazer with a heads and cam package and if you go with a stock 5.3 or a stock 5.7 you will get of coarse more power but LS based engines are way more efficent than the 4.3 i know a guy running 11's with the 5.3 and a cam with bottle and he gets 20mpg or better on the highway. That motor is bad *** and if you don't mind shovin that motor in there its the way to go just because you have a better baseline. Also you have a much larger aftermarket for LS based performance where as the 4.3 has a considerably smaller aftermarket. However the $4,000 you got isn't quite enough i see LS1 engine tranny combos go for that much if your wanting to go LS1 but if you went with a 5.3 you only gain about 42lbs from the larger motor and its quite a bit stronger and they are a dime a dozen you could even go with a 6.0 for almost the same money.