Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Motor @ Machine shop - Trans? what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road
Default Motor @ Machine shop - Trans? what to do?

Hello all.
I have a 98 4x4 4 door that has/had 220K miles on it. The motor is currently in the machine shop being completely rebuilt. While I had no issues with the transmission I am wondering if there is anything beyond new fluids that I should do to it while motor is out?

While this is my first post here I have visited this site countless times over the last 2 years...from info regarding the CAI/WAI debate; on how to change the spark plugs on the 4.3 motor; to most recently the many thoughts on how best to remove the motor. My blazer was my daily driver but I do have a second vehicle that I have been using since the motor went south on me . I am in my early 50s and not in a great rush to get this done so I opted to drop the transfer case, drive shafts and raised the body...I am doing this in my garage by myself so I figured I would do everything I could to make this as easy on me as possible. This forum has been invaluable to me; I owe many of you my thanks and appreciation for the time and effort that you have put forth in your posts!

If any of you have any other thoughts or suggestions regarding actions I should take while the motor is out, please feel free. I told the machine shop I was not pressed for time and will get my engine back on the 18th of this month.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:20 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
Hello all.
I have a 98 4x4 4 door that has/had 220K miles on it. The motor is currently in the machine shop being completely rebuilt. While I had no issues with the transmission I am wondering if there is anything beyond new fluids that I should do to it while motor is out?

While this is my first post here I have visited this site countless times over the last 2 years...from info regarding the CAI/WAI debate; on how to change the spark plugs on the 4.3 motor; to most recently the many thoughts on how best to remove the motor. My blazer was my daily driver but I do have a second vehicle that I have been using since the motor went south on me . I am in my early 50s and not in a great rush to get this done so I opted to drop the transfer case, drive shafts and raised the body...I am doing this in my garage by myself so I figured I would do everything I could to make this as easy on me as possible. This forum has been invaluable to me; I owe many of you my thanks and appreciation for the time and effort that you have put forth in your posts!

If any of you have any other thoughts or suggestions regarding actions I should take while the motor is out, please feel free. I told the machine shop I was not pressed for time and will get my engine back on the 18th of this month.
Oil cooler line replacement. Don't forget to replace radiator if there has been a bearing failure or otherwise metal in the oil.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thank you for your reply.
Went to my favorite salvage yard and pulled a radiator out of a 98 Jimmy; pressure tested radiator and cap out the door for $30. Both lines were replaced about 10 months ago...machine shop has them; said they would clean em up and make sure that they are usable. When I drained the oil after being towed home it looked like chocolate milk with glitter and the attached photo was just one chunk pulled from oil pan.

Attached Thumbnails Motor @ Machine shop - Trans?  what to do?-chunk.jpg