Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Motor head opinions needed, got real trouble now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013 | 09:02 PM
|
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough
Default Motor head opinions needed, got real trouble now...

Okay, background for those who are confused, I got a call from a friend a couple of weeks ago needing some help and to get his Jeep pulled out of a flooded area after some particularly heavy rains. He's a good friend so I didn't hesitate to go help him. On the way there, on a completely different road in a completely different area, AND one that's not normally prone to flooding problems I dropped down a hill and came around a turn with no time to stop and found myself in the same position as the friend who called me. Flooded the engine out with water, hydrolocked and the works and had to call my wife to bring the 4 wheeler and tow it home.

I've been working gingerly with it for the last couple of weeks. First thing I did was pull all 6 plugs and drain water from 4 out of the six after turning the engine by hand. Then I sprayed WD-40 in all the cylinders and put the plugs back in it. Then I went through changing the oil, running Lucas and Seafoam through it, babying it along trying to clean all the water out and I changed the rest of the fluids as well (both differentials, etc.) to be sure all the bases were covered and that was SEVERAL oil changes running the engine long enough to rinse the fresh oil through all the oil passages, bearings, etc. Today was to be the last oil change as it was no longer getting milky and everything seemed as though it was going to be just fine. So I drained the oil out, rinsed some diesel fuel through to rinse out the bottom of the pan and then chased that with a couple of quarts of oil after it had a chance to sit there and air out for a bit to make sure it was as good as it could get. I then refilled it with oil, changed the oil filter and double checked that the oil level was about a quarter inch or so above full before filling the oil filter.

Then it happened, I started it up to fill the oil filter, check pressure and give it a test drive and literally as soon as it fired I heard the bearings squalling. Shut it right back off to double check what I was hearing, to make sure it wasn't a belt, or the starter hung up, or anything of that sort. Once I was convinced I knew what it was I started it again and let it run and after about 10 seconds the squalling stopped but it had that dreaded rattle in the bottom end. All that work and care to baby it along and this happened, kinda just pisses me off but there's nothing that can be done about it now but get it repaired and move on.

That brings me to the subject of the topic. Where the hell should I go from here? Should I even screw with trying to rebuild this damned thing or should I just go and find a long block and start over? If you think I should rebuild this engine, what would be your suggestions for doing so? Parts from where? How much of it would you replace? I've searched for the parts to rebuild the bottom end before for the engine in the '98 playtoy and for about double the cost I can get a long block with a warranty which just seems like the better option in all reality. I need some direction here, I'm too frustrated with myself and the situation to think straight. If I go with a long block where's the best place to get one?

Old 05-26-2013 | 09:39 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

If it just spun a bearing and you didn't run it anymore i would say rebuild it because it probably didn't damage the crank or rods beyond repair. So i say at least tare it down and inspect the damage then go from there. If you don't run the engine anymore then you should be alright.

Old 05-26-2013 | 10:53 PM
|

You really think so? I kinda figured the squalling was the rod bearings scoring the crank and the worst part is that it sounded like most of them.

I planned on inspecting it. Though I kinda had in my mind to go ahead and get a long block for the Jimmy and use the terribly ruined engine from the '98 as the core. Then see what this one will really take to fix and use it for the '98. Closest thing to a win win I could come up with out of this scenario.

Old 05-26-2013 | 11:01 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Oh ok, then what you said sounds like a good plan in your scenario. I was just thinking it would be cheaper to rebuild if the crank was fixable

Old 05-26-2013 | 11:06 PM
|

Might be if the crank isn't toast, but at the same time a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine for a vehicle I plan on owning for many many more years to come seems appropriate as well.

I just dunno for sure, which is why I wanted to try to get the opinions of people who've been in my shoes before.

Old 05-27-2013 | 05:58 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
Might be if the crank isn't toast, but at the same time a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine for a vehicle I plan on owning for many many more years to come seems appropriate as well.

I just dunno for sure, which is why I wanted to try to get the opinions of people who've been in my shoes before.
you just answered your own question right there. Might as well spend the money on a new engine with a warranty since you do plan on keeping it. water got in the old motor,im sure there is other places like cam bearings,top end,etc that didnt like it that you may pass over and have more issues in the long run. Ive learned to stop taking chances. It costs you just as much in the long run.

Old 05-27-2013 | 01:24 PM

Oh yeah no doubt, get the new engine if you plan on keeping it. I guess i should have asked what your plans were first lol. Now that i think about it, you would have to completely tare the block down and get it dipped to wash out all the crap then replace every bearing because like Chris mentioned, if the bottom end went then the top wont be too far behind. More work than its worth even if it was cheaper.

Old 05-27-2013 | 05:12 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Replace the engine. One of the rods is bent and ate it's bearing up. That's the noise you have. Whichever piston was on compression bent its rod. You also want to flush the transmission and drain and refill both differentials. Yes, you have vents but when you submerge the engine, they usually go under too. Plus, the seals on your axles are for keeping oil in, not water out.

Old 05-27-2013 | 07:26 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

new engine
although you did all the fluids you cant stop the damage from the engine stopping dead when the piston/s tried to compress water

Old 05-27-2013 | 07:31 PM
|

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Replace the engine. One of the rods is bent and ate it's bearing up. That's the noise you have. Whichever piston was on compression bent its rod. You also want to flush the transmission and drain and refill both differentials. Yes, you have vents but when you submerge the engine, they usually go under too. Plus, the seals on your axles are for keeping oil in, not water out.
Originally Posted by rexazz2
new engine
although you did all the fluids you cant stop the damage from the engine stopping dead when the piston/s tried to compress water
Yep, already got the rest of the fluids taken care of. I suppose it's possible a rod was bent but it didn't make a single bad sound until yesterday and ran just as smooth as it ever had as well.

So, anyone got a good, trustworthy place to pick up a long block to recommend to me?

Quick Reply: Motor head opinions needed, got real trouble now...