Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

My coolant temp sensor was giving me the business

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Starting Member
Blazeredtodeath is on a distinguished road
Default My coolant temp sensor was giving me the business

This is my first post. Please for the love of all that is Holy, don't torch me. I'm a long time lurker and this forum has saved me time and helped me with all of my trouble shooting. I feel it is my duty to post the following:

I am the recent owner of a new-to-me 2000 Chevrolet Blazer ZR-2. I have had some major issues with this truck. Again, this forum coming to my rescue more times than not. When I bought it, I had never owned a vehicle with the sawed off 350, so this has been quite an adventure.

As of this posting, I have replaced the following parts:

Battery
Fuel injector spider
Idle Air Control Valve
Throttle Position Sensor
air filter
Cap, plugs, wires and the distributor module (I don't remember the exact name)
MAP Sensor
brakes (not related)
cleaned my TB, MAF and upper plenum
change oil every 3K miles

All of these things combined did not solve a stuttering problem and high/hanging idle problem that has plagued me for weeks, and made the truck undriveable. I also didn't find anything like this on the forum, although I could have missed it with all of my vehicle induced stress. I was fed up with parts swaping/trouble shooting. I took it to a mechanic who has a reputation for solving the hard to find Gremlins that no one else can.

So, I drop the truck off yesterday. I leave, and before I am 15 minutes down the road, he calls and tells me that my problem is my coolant temp sensor. I say, "Well, don't I feel like an idiot. I'll be right there."

He charged me $65.00 to run the computer diagnostics and test drive, but in retrospect, it was well worth it. I asked why the coolant temp sensor had anything to do with my idle and whatnot and he told me that due to the motor not having a traditional choke, the computer relies on the coolant temp sensor for a baseline to do air and fuel mixture and metering. Therefore, when my sensor was reading -40 degrees fahrenheit, when it was actually 75+ outside, it was dumping excessive fuel and couldn't get enough air, causing the stuttering.

I apologise for the long winded nature of my first posting, but I wanted everyone to learn from my automotive beat down. This could have been a whole host of things that cost a couple hundred to fix, but instead I got owned by a $14.00 temp sensor. Ten minutes worth of work and my truck runs like a top.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and happy Blazering.

Sincerely,

Blazeredtodeath

Last edited by Blazeredtodeath; 12-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Glad you got it fixed. Those temp sensors really get pushed to side alot of times...and if i recall mine cost me 13 bucks..Whenever i buy me "new" gm's,or anything for that matter i buy plugs,wires,etc and i also throw in a new temp sensor as they are a important cheap part of the fuel system. Remember you have 2 of them,ones for the fuel etc,ones for the gauge

Old 12-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Starting Member
Blazeredtodeath is on a distinguished road

Where is the second temp sensor for the fuel located? I am in the pre-emptive strike mode. I'm tired of getting left on the side of the road. Chevy runs deep...in my wallet.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

the one for the fuel is under the throttle body.takes like 5 minutes to change out. on the cpi's i believe the one for the gauge is still on the passenger side head.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:58 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blazeredtodeath
Where is the second temp sensor for the fuel located? I am in the pre-emptive strike mode. I'm tired of getting left on the side of the road. Chevy runs deep...in my wallet.
I dont understand the question.. there's a fuel temp sensor?

Originally Posted by chris015
the one for the fuel is under the throttle body.takes like 5 minutes to change out. on the cpi's i believe the one for the gauge is still on the passenger side head.
Now I REALLY dont understand the question. "Under the throttle body?" What!

BTD: The guy probably got in the truck you had just driven in and saw the temp was low.

If the thing's a 2000, the PCM drives the gauge.
Problem being I have a harness pictorial that shows the ECT on the driver's side head. I trust the schematic and there's ONE!

Last edited by pettyfog; 12-10-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:16 PM
Beginning Member
tslyks is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I know this is a real old post but I think I may have the same problem.

My question is: will a vehicle run fine when it's cold but stall out and won't start up again once it warms? My vehicle died on me on the hwy when I was at red light. I couldn't accelerate and I had just enough juice to pull over before she puttered out on me.

I made post just the other day about my issue.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...n-cold-101748/

Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Thread closed. Not bumping old threads. User has opened a new thread.