Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Nasty Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member
youngone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nasty Coolant leak

My 2000 Blazer LT has a nasty,aggrevating and weird coolant leak. It's leaking down the drivers side of the block,bellhousing onto the exhaust and finally onto the ground.

I checked all the hoses and they're good, no leaks. The only thing I can think of is an intake gasket because there seems to be coolant build up all along the drivers side of the intake, but it would have to be one nasty leak to cause the beach ball sized puddles it does.

Sometimes it leaves huge puddles, other times it will leave small drip puddles. And there will be times it wont even leak.

I have run the car and watched the leak but I cant pin point it.

What is the hose that runs from the intake to, it looks like, the exhaust???

Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Nasty Coolant leak

Yesterday I replaced the water pump on my '00 LS 4x4 Blazer.
There are no coolant hoses that go to the exhaust on the drivers or passengers side. There are 2 heater core hoses on the passengers side of the engine above the exhaust/intake. see if one of them is leaking. Water will follow the path of least resistance, it will flow a long ways before it accually drips to the ground. GM engines tip back 4 degrees to help with pinion angles on the driveshafts. Teh coolant could also be leaking from your thermostat housing. There are two hoses that come off the water pump, one feeds the heater core and the other goes to the thermostat. look for them on the front of the egnine. The coolant will run downhill, 4 degree slant of the engine, and drain off at the lowest point, down the back sdie of the engine/belhousing.

By the way, welcome to teh site.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the welcome

I've already checked the hoses and they are not leaking. I'm going to really tear into it in a day or so and see whats going on,this is really starting to **** me off. I cant believe how cramped that thing is.

As for the hose runing to the exhaust manifold, it's either a pipe or hose and it has black mesh around it. I just wanna know what it is, because my buddies 03 LS Blazer dosent have it, neither does my other buddies 02 ZR2 S-10.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

which exhaust manifold?

Drivers side, if so it should be going to your egr or pvc or both if I remember correctly. I'd couldlook in the daylight tomorrow if you want.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member

My bad, yes the drivers side.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
BF Veteran

you must be talking about the one between the firewall and head then. It goes into the intakeand feeds teh EGR. See the black round thing with the wires connected to it on teh front of theintake? That would be the EGR. they arecontrolled by a solinoid. This helps with cold starts, it draws teh warm exhaust air into the engine to help it get up to optimum operating temps sooner.

As for the leak, it is reported that these like to leak at the intake gasket. Once you start moving stuff out of the way, they really aren't that bad to work on. Things do move out of the way pretty easily.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

you must be talking about the one between the firewall and head then. It goes into the intakeand feeds teh EGR. See the black round thing with the wires connected to it on teh front of theintake? That would be the EGR. they arecontrolled by a solinoid. This helps with cold starts, it draws teh warm exhaust air into the engine to help it get up to optimum operating temps sooner.

Thats the one.

ORIGINAL: Hanr3As for the leak, it is reported that these like to leak at the intake gasket. Once you start moving stuff out of the way, they really aren't that bad to work on. Things do move out of the way pretty easily.

Thats what I'm thinking because I already checked all the hoses while it was running to see if there was a leak.

Before I pull the trigger and yank the intake I'm going to go and double check. I just figured somebody might of had this problem before.

Thanks for the help

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran

There should be a thread or two on it. I think there is a thread on it in the Do-It-Yourself section as well. I don't tend to look at teh do-it-yourself section much. I could write most of them, and have written a few of them. [8D]

Sometime this summer I plan on replacing my oil cooler lines, myintake gaskets, and thenut kit (fuel lines feeding the poppet nozzles). This past wekeend I replaced the water pump. It lasted 155,000 miles. Not too shabby and yes, I still run Dextron.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ATF fluid in your coolant system???

Old 05-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Russell.Thompson is an unknown quantity at this point

you could try putting some dye through the system and with a uv light you might be able to see exactly where it is leaking before you start tearing into it.

Quick Reply: Nasty Coolant leak