Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

In need of help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Starting Member
Ralston Walton is on a distinguished road
Default In need of help

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer that shuts off randomly while I'm driving. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter, spark plugs and wires and distributor and rotor, relays throttle positioning senor, ignition module. The starter and alternator are both in good condition I've had all the senors tested and the fuel pressure is good even when the engine shuts off randomly and still shuts down while I'm driving. Can anyone please tell me what else could be wrong. A few mechanics have told me that the computer might have to be reset but I took it to a Chevy service shop and they didn't say anything about it even when I mentioned it to them. I also had the cat converter checked and its not clogged. Also I put a new ignition switch and new crankshaft sensor in

Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ralston Walton
I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer that shuts off randomly while I'm driving. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter, spark plugs and wires and distributor and rotor, relays throttle positioning senor, ignition module. The starter and alternator are both in good condition I've had all the senors tested and the fuel pressure is good even when the engine shuts off randomly and still shuts down while I'm driving. Can anyone please tell me what else could be wrong. A few mechanics have told me that the computer might have to be reset but I took it to a Chevy service shop and they didn't say anything about it even when I mentioned it to them. I also had the cat converter checked and its not clogged. Also I put a new ignition switch and new crankshaft sensor in
Does it start right back up? or does it refuse to start for some period of time? Any SES light? Any codes stored? Spark present when it won't start? Injector pulses present when it won't start? Fuel pressure at time of no start? Please stop guessing and shotgunning random parts at the problem - it's not working for you. Go back to the basics. Engines still need 3 things to run.

1) compression (which would not be intermittent)
2) the correct amount of fuel
3) sufficient spark at the correct time to light the fuel/air mix.

If you have replaced or disturbed the crank sensor/timing cover, then you will need to have a crankshaft sensor relearn performed by someone with a capable scan tool ($$$).

Best wishes for a successful repair

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-31-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 AM
Starting Member
Ralston Walton is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Does it start right back up? or does it refuse to start for some period of time? Any SES light? Any codes stored? Spark present when it won't start? Injector pulses present when it won't start? Fuel pressure at time of no start? Please stop guessing and shotgunning random parts at the problem - it's not working for you. Go back to the basics. Engines still need 3 things to run.

1) compression (which would not be intermittent)
2) the correct amount of fuel
3) sufficient spark at the correct time to light the fuel/air mix.

If you have replaced or disturbed the crank sensor/timing cover, then you will need to have a crankshaft sensor relearn performed by someone with a capable scan tool ($$$).

Best wishes for a successful repair
Yes it stats right back up without hesitation
there ae no codes thrown from what I can see
the parts ive replace are the parts mechanics have toold me to replace because they were bad and thats what they thought the problem was.
thanks I'll check the pressure again