Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need help asap please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Recon is on a distinguished road
Default Need help asap please!

ok, here is my story, yesterday.. well let me go back farther to perhaps last Sunday it was rainy and I was distracted so my 92 s10 found its way into a telephone pole.. so I needed a replacement so I started looking around on craigslist and I came across this 1993 s10 Blazer (W) VIN its a Tahoe perfect condition

here is the actual add if anyone is interested: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/1979988378.html

so anyways the add stated that it has a "stumble at acceleration" so I went there and it was is so good of shape not one dent or a spot of rust, even the clear coat looked good.. well I got there and soon found out that the "stumble at acceleration" was a bit of an understatement it took a lot of turning over to get it to start and it idled so bad that I was amazed that it kept its self from dieing well it was a good 30 mile drive back to my house so I got him down to $760 for it.. well it was running terrible it would get up to 60 miles an hour but it took everything it had and it smelled of gass fairly bad (coming from the tail pipe).

Well I had ADD as a kid and it still kicks in every now and then and i can't help but do retarded stuff, so when I was just about home at the last red light waiting for it to turn green I decided it was a good idea to hold down the break and put the gass to the floor... so just then the light turned green and I let off the break and (it didnt have any power when I held the gas down, it barely made a difference so when it turned green it slowly pulled out and instantly died and I managed to get it to coast into a parking lot where it still sits. I was assuming that I flooded it but it still wont start even today, I did a few Google searches and it brought me here where I was informed from other posts to change the fuel regulator valve so (btw there is a LOT of gas in my oil so I know it needed one probably) even though when I took off the top of the manifold a big gass puddle was on the driver side and the passenger side (where the regulator is) was completely dry.

I also changed the pcv valve, and put in new plugs (witch it desperately needed - the old ones were rusted) so all of todays work did nothing to get it started same problem I hope my stupidity didnt kill the poor thing lol. at this point I'm pretty well broke so my next resort is probably a junk yard (I heard to look for wreaked vehicles when looking for electronic parts, because that at least lets you know that it was working good before it got totaled instead of just a typical Junker in good condition) anyways any help would gratefully appreciated, I tried starting fluid too and it wanted to run but it just wouldn't start. I just want to know what I could of broke last night when I held down the gas at the red light? I'm stumped I guess perhaps a new engine might be the only solution. thanks for your time and sorry for such a long story lol.

(EDIT is that better swartlkk?)

Last edited by Recon; 10-08-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gas on the driver side of the intake indicates a leaking 'nut kit' (internal fuel lines), not a leaking FPR.

BTW, to make your post easier to read, you might try breaking things up into shorter paragraphs and putting a capital letter at the start of each sentence. Every little bit helps!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM

by the way I didnt mention that it has 243k miles on it only one owner though (long distant drives across country) so I was never treated badly (no teenage drivers :P )

also would my 92 s10 pickup's 4.3 work with this vortec's tranny? maybe I will try to put that in it if I can't get it going. it did run pretty good.

how much would that run at auto zone or Advance? for the (nut kit) that is..

I don't know if I would help any suggestions but sometimes when cranking it will make a loud pop and when I get out and look under the hood my pcv valve hose gets blown off but the valve cover, but the pcv valve manages to stay attached. come on people I really need some advice. I called advance auto parts about the kit that was mentioned to me above and the guy on the phone said there is no such thing as a internal hose replacement kit, and said I need to take out all 6 hoses bring them in and get them measured and cut to my needs... does this sound right?? I thought they had to have special fittings on them? I don't know...

Last edited by Recon; 10-08-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member
Sirloin is on a distinguished road

Along with what seems to be a fuel leak (like Swart mentioned above) or an open injector.
With that many miles on it, I'd suspect the spark plug wires and even the distributor shaft might be getting sloppy, causing misfiring.
If you get it running you might want to try the old "water mist" with a spray bottle in the engine compartment (after dark it's easier to see ), to see if there are any sparks jumping around. That might help you find vacuum leaks too.
The VIN 'W' is that the CPI motor with the "F.I. spider"? ... I had a 1991 'Z' with the TBI and never had any fuel issues with 235,000 miles ( except a fuel pump ).

Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 PM

well, good news kinda I guess, the digital gass gauge was reading around 4 bars so I assumed it was good on gas, but for the hell of it I decided to put a 5 gallon jug full in the tank a little while ago and she fired right up! its still running like crap though especially at idle it idles up (normal) then it almost stalls but catches itself atleast I got her home. hitting some junk yards tomorow, I'm on a mission to get it running right this weekend.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

The internal fuel lines are available at Advance Auto, NAPA, etc.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_535982321___

You absolutely need to replace them as they are obviously leaking, then you need to change the oil. I'd remove, clean and reinstall the EGR valve with a screened gasket as well as it's probably pretty carboned up from the fuel leakage.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 PM

UPDATE: ok so I got some replacement hoses today and when I had the manifold taken off I turned on the ignition and sure enough one of the hoses had a hole in it, so I replaced it put it back together and now a new issue has arrived.. its running way better now and I did change the oil also, but it has a little bit of a miss to it, and when idling it eventually kills itself it idles up and down, up and down when I give it gas its fine.

After reading Leeann's post I sopose I will now go outside and see what the EGR valve looks like, I'm glad I went ahead and picked one up at the junk yard today. Thanks alot for the help guys. ( I will also mention that I put a new distributor on it and plugs/wires too)

Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you now have a sticky IAC (idle air control) valve.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Default Finally!!!!

OK, I forgot to mention something... the night I went and picked it up the guy said that he looked in the trouble shooting section of a Chilton guide and it said it could be the ignition's pick up coil.. so when I ran out of gas on the way home I started taking apart the ignition took it out (I did mark where it was positioned) but it was dark. so I decided to re check it and it was actually about a half an inch off so I loosened it up and made the correction and BAM its running like a brand new one!

The total amount of money I put into this thing including the blazer is about $900.00 and that's just because I mistakenly replaced the fuel regulator valve, but at least I won't have to worry about it going bad in the future.

So I would now like to thank all of you guys our there for all of your help, because of you I now have a great running ride I just need to get the gas gauge working and a new temp sensor put in, it has the digital dash and the temp part of it shows no bars at all (assuming its the sensor because half of it is still on the side of the engine and the other is still attached to the wire)

So, anyhow I really do appreciate all the advice, it reminds me of what my wife's professor told her "Its not about knowing all the answers, its about knowing where to find them" and for me its usually a google search bar :P

have a good one, I'm sure I will need more help in the future.

BTW, its still smoking a little, a puff comes out when I first fire it up and sometimes when I give it a lot of gas, I'm thinking its just still burning what ever is left in the exhaust system. no rattling valves or knocking what so ever it sound so good when its running its hard to believe it has so many miles on it, the transmittion was 2 quarts low also, so I'm expecting a leak.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Good deal!! Glad it was something so simple!

Quick Reply: Need help asap please!