Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need help asap please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Beginning Member
Sirloin is on a distinguished road
Default WTG Recon !

You mentioned a few other issues with your machine ... the digital gauges go out. I ended up finding a digital dash cluster in the salvage yard and then everything lit up like it was supposed to.

The fuel tank on my '91 was bone dry empty with 3 bars showing on the fuel gauge ... so I used to keep a close eye on the trip-o-meter, and fill up and reset the trip every time.

The surging could be a vacuum leak?

Sounds like you're on the home stretch anyway ... good job.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Recon is on a distinguished road

UPDATE: alright, here is what I have so far, today I've been driving the hell out of it and I must say this is the nicest riding vehicle I've ever owned, its amazing that when I look at it from the outside it seems so small (compared to full sized trucks/suvs) but when I'm behind the wheel it feels like I"m so much bigger then everyone else, and it drives so smooth, I can hardly hear it when its idling, but there are still a few issues that is bothering me, I blame it on being a perfectionist but I figured it wouldn't hurt bringing it up just to see if there is an actual problem, and if so maybe an easy fix/ trip to the junk yard.

So the first thing thats pissing me off the most today is the smoking issue that I mentioned in earlier posts, it only does it during start-up and its usually not enough to even notice, but earlier today I drove the hell out of it then came home with a new temp sensor (will get to that issue in a moment) and a few switches that I got from a really good shape junker at the local yard, (defrost, blower speed control, and the electric mirror control switch, and also a side view mirror witch was broken) so I got back from the junkyard/part store and began today's mission and after about an hour and a half later I was done putting all of my goodies on and I decided to take it for a little ride to test out the temp sensor (wanted to make sure it was nice and hot) and when I fired her up- wow a huge cloud of white smoke came out but instanly cleared right up, it doesnt seem to be burning oil (at least not enough to notice on the dip stick 2 days after an oil change) but I can't help but be bothered by it. any quick fix ideas anyone?? :P

ok back to the temp sensor, I stated in a previous post that my temp sensor was snapped in half so I wanted to find out if I could get my temp gauge to work so I got a brand new one, stuck it in and now my temp gauge is actually showing bars but it won't go past 3 bars, I know it has to get up to at-least half way when warmed up right? please jump in anytime with suggestions.

another issue I'm having is its leaking trans fluid from the radiator (the lower tranny hose that is ) I tightened both of them up and it did help a bit but its still leaves a few drops on the ground where ever I park. not too concerned about it but just thought I would bring it up.

Now another important issue I wanted to get some advice on is when ever I hit a really big bump or pot hole I hear a popping sound coming from the front end, usually on the driver side, I've only heard it a couple times and it takes a pretty big pot hole to even make it do it, and when I turn suddenly or quick it makes a really light pop.. is this normal? or do I need some bushings or some front end work done? I hope its normal cause I'm so tired of working on this, lol I want to take a couple days off at-least. but it drives me crazy driving it with it not in perfect running condition.

Thanks again guys for all the help I really do appreciate it. I'll be checking in hourly for some answers.

Last edited by Recon; 10-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should try to verify that the temperature is coming up to 195*F properly. An infrared thermometer pointed at the base of the thermostat housing should get close to that. If it is drastically low after the truck has run for 10-15 minutes, then your thermostat is not properly controlling flow through the block.

As far as your leak at the radiator hoses, if it is actually coming from the hoses, I would replace them using new clamps as well.

As far as the smoke at startup, has it been rainy or humid where you live? It could be condensation building up in the exhaust when it cools. If the smoke is really white, then it is either water or coolant. If it is a dirty white or gray, it could be oil getting past weak valve seals.

For the pop in the front end going over bumps, check out the hood hinge pins. There is a TSB posted around here about them.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member
Sirloin is on a distinguished road
Default an S10 with character

So you say you have a good daily driver with character

Transmission lines have a small leak. As an option you could add a trans cooler and abandon the connections at the radiator. If/when you change the trans fluid make sure you use a Dealership filter.

Start up smoke. On my '91 TBI, if I recall correctly;
I had disconnected the hose from the PCV valve to the spacer under the TBI, and capped the spacer ( to avoid a vacuum leak and to prevent dirt being sucked into the intake ). Then I think I lengthened the hose and hung it down near the fire wall so the slime wouldn't go back to the intake to get reburned.
Don't know if this was a 'green' thing to do or not ... at least it stayed a liquid and didn't get breathed in .?. I think that took care of the start up smoke issue on my machine.

Clunk while hitting potholes. The usual suspects are the balljoints, idler arm, or tie rod ends. I owned my '91 for 14 years had a 3" body lift on it and had to replace all of these parts a couple times. BUT, I had a friend that chased a "clunk" and it was coming from his torsion bar assembly under the drivers side.

There's my 2 cents for the day. Oh yeah ... take a break from your machine, so you don't feel the need to kick the neighbors dog.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Alright, now yet a new issue has arrived. Yesterday the digital gauges just went black all of them, I don't know if its in the actually unit its self or in the wiring, They did eventually come back on, then this morning it just went out again. it really sucks not knowing how much gas I have! (I can't even see my mileage anymore) Any help would be gratefully appreciated! And yes I did rule out the sound coming from my front end is definitely not the hood latch/hinges, I think it mus be a bad ball joint.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

It's probably the cold solder joints on the back of the gauge cluster. Remove the cluster and check all of them carefully. The other possibility is that the ground is bad/intermittent, and removing the cluster will expose the ground wire for you to clean/tighten the connections.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 PM

I hope your right, I know what I'm going to be doing all day tomorrow. Are there any other ground wires that I should look at before I take my dash apart? I also noticed that when I turn my lights on the lights don't work for the ac/heater control panel or any of the other switches on the left side of my steering wheel, the stereo is the only thing that lights up. I'm not sure if thats related or if it just needs light bulbs.

Last edited by Recon; 10-15-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't looked at any of those grounds, but you'll have to follow whatever wires you can get to back there when you remove the gauge cluster.

There are lights for the AC/heater control and for all the switches to the left of the steering wheel. It is possible the bulbs are bad on the AC/heater control but I've never looked at the switches on the left because they light up on mine (did replace the 2 bulbs on the heater control on mine as they were bad).

Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 AM

alright I thought I would give some more information, when I got in it this morning it was working properly again. but when it gets nice and warm in there it goes out? I think its definitely temp related. I sopose that means bad solder?