Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need Help With Flushing 92' 700R4 Tranny

Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Beginning Member
mandng0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Help With Flushing 92' 700R4 Tranny

Hello...

I just finished reading a previous post "Need assistance with flushing a transmission" and from what I was reading, it seems like there were some condraticting beliefs on how to properly flush a tranny. The reason for my questioning is because Im installing a used 92 4l60 (I guess proper terminology) with approx 110k miles on it and kinda in a different situation.

I decided since existing tranny fluid was dripping everywhere in my... I mind as well drop the pan and change out the fluid.

So here are my observations so far...
[ul][*]From what is seems like, there might be a quart of oil in the tranny all together in the torque converter itself. Reason being, I removed the torque converter to make sure there were no damage inside[*]The old tranny fluid has a reddish tint, no burnt smell to it.[*]When I dropped the pan, there were no metal fragments or debris so it looks like im good.[*]I cleaned up the oil pan and resealed it back to the tranny[/ul]
And this is what Im curious about...
[ul][*]Took Hanr3's advice and didnt change the filter. Is that the right thing to do?[*]Being that there is almost no fluid in tranny, should I stagger the new fluid? EX. Putting in 5 quarts while cold and the other once it warms up.[*]Because this tranny has about 110k miles on it, what tranny fluid do you suggest I use?[/ul]

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need Help With Flushing 92' 700R4 Tranny

IMO, if you are already there with the pan off, I would replace the filter. The point that Tim (hanr3) was making is that the only thing to clog up the filter is internal transmission components. If you are to the point of needing to change the filter due to performance issues, then the transmission is on its last leg.

As far as how much transmission fluid is in the pan vs in the entire transmission, a 700R4/4L60/4L60E transmission has a dry capacity of around 12 quarts. With a pan drop, you typically will replace half of that. Pulling the torque converter and fully draining it (almost impossible) will net you another quart to quart and a half. If you fill it back up before sliding it back in, then I would just put 5 or so quarts in and then warm the transmission up and check the fluid level, adding as required. You really do not want to over fill it.

As far as transmission fluid, the Dexron VI (6) is said to be backwards compatible and is a synthetic fluid which will last longer while being less affected by heat.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member

awesome.. thanks for the heads up.

Wanted to do the right thing for sure

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

being a used tranny I would also add one quart of Lucas tranny treatment.

You dont know the condition of the tranny or the seals. As the seals wear out they get hard and start to leak. Teh debris int eh old fluid tends to plug up those leaks....

tranny fluid is full of detergents. when you add new tranny fluid it will clean up that debris around those seals/gaskets, thus casueing leaks and eventually tranny failure.

Lucas tranny treatment is like a really thick tranny fluid, it will recondition those seals/gaskets and help prevent those leaks, even with new fluid.

Any time you swap in a used tranny, add one quart of lucas tranny fluid treatment. The condition I describe above is called tranny shock.

How did you seal up the tranny pan?
the only thing to use is a new gasket, never use gasket maker. There is a bleeder hole in that mounting surface, if you plugged that hole you will fry your tranny. Best to use brake cleaner to clean the pan and tranny mounting surfaces, install a new gasket, and torque to 10-13foot pounds max.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member

Hanr3...

I think you just made me nervous

How did you seal up the tranny pan?
the only thing to use is a new gasket, never use gasket maker. There is a bleeder hole in that mounting surface, if you plugged that hole you will fry your tranny. Best to use brake cleaner to clean the pan and tranny mounting surfaces, install a new gasket, and torque to 10-13foot pounds max.
Please let me know if I did something wrong cause Ill def go back and retrace my steps. I got a new gasket for the pansealed with the Permatex ultra gray.

How can I identify the bleeder hole?
What do I need to do from here to avoid the future cost?
*COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS*
And while we're at it.. What is the correct bolt size for the tranny oil pan?

Thanks for all the help

Old 02-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Beginning Member

And while we're at it.. What is the correct bolt size for the tranny oil pan?

Thanks for all the help