Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

need help in N. NJ metro area...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 PM
atwistd1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help in N. NJ metro area...

ok so the distributor on my blazer took a crap and i got a new one, i attempted the install on my own and have hit a brick wall, i have done distributors before on old muscle cars when i was younger, but i can not seem to get this one to work, i removed the #1 plug, bumped the motor over till a puff of air came out of the #1 cylinder then installed the dist with the rotor facing the #1 position on the cap, hooked everything up and no dice, just cranks and occasionally spits thru the intake, obviously out of timing or off by a few teeth, after the 5th attempt, i gave up. just wondering if there was someone local that might be able to lend a hand.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need help in N. NJ metro area...

We will need ot know the year and if this a S10 or fillsize. Engine info helps too.

The newer they are the easier thy are to time.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM
atwistd1 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

We will need ot know the year and if this a S10 or fillsize. Engine info helps too.

The newer they are the easier thy are to time.
oops, sorry thought it was in my signature but i changed it awhile back and forgot,,, anyway it is a 2002 S-10 Blazer 4.3 vortec 4x4, i did manage to get the distributor in properly today by following the instructions in a thread here "EDI engine timing" got it running and it seemed to run fine, a bit of knocking on take off and under load, but then the dreaded SES light came on after about 30 minutes of driving it, Advance Auto's code reader was broken so i could not pull the codes and my reader is upstate NY about 7 hours away from me. Now it really cranks hard on starting and occasionally spits back through the intake then it will start seems to run smooth and ok after i get it started, noticed that now the idle seems to fluctuate a few hundred rpm at idle.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

youll need that code.

The common culprits are fuel pressure, TPS, or IAC.

As for the knocking, what gas are you running. when I bought my truck it knocked like crazy, I ran a couple tanks of premium through it and the knocking went away.