Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need info on torque converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member
thesnowgod is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need info on torque converter replacement

OK folks, please dont shoot me down, I swear I searched first (a lot!).

I've got a 2000 4 door Blazer 4x4 with about 102,000 miles and the torque converter crapped out on me as did the front seal on the tranny. She's gushing tranny fluid all over the place. I have a Fisher Homesteader plow that I use on my own driveway so I know it's getting used hard even though I'm as careful as I can be with it.

Got a quote of $600-700 in labor plus parts (about $200) to drop the tranny, replace the seal and reinstall. I just can't swing that money so here's what I'm looking for:

- A "how to" on dropping the transmission at home in my own garage. Pics within a thread would be great too.
- Recommendations on a replacement converter. Auto Zone? Chevy dealer? Any of them better than others? Tell me what to buy as I want a quality one but don't want to overspend if I don't need to.
- Seals and stuff, what to buy and where?

Planning on switching to synthetic tranny fluid and adding a cooler. Might as well replace the filter and stuff too. I want to do it right and only do it once.
Any advice or links would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of threads on the subject of removing the transmission around here for your browsing/reading pleasure. Suffice to say, drop the transmission out the bottom. The top two bolts are easiest to get at by first dropping the back of the trans down as far as you can without damaging the distributor and then reaching them with a butt load of extensions.

Most available aftermarket torque converters will suit you fine. A lot of them are built by the same company and just rebranded.

As far as seals go, that would depend on what seal you wanted. If you were only replacing the input seal to the transmission, just about anywhere will do.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member
thesnowgod is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info! I was hoping someone would reply before I made the converter purchase. I was sure no matter which one I bought, someone would end up saying, "Oh not that brand! Those are terrible!"

I've got a shop manual for the truck already but I was hoping there was some step by step walkthroughs on here. I just couldn't seem to find them.

Thanks for the info though. Sure hoping to get this done without too many issues.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Doug Sample is on a distinguished road
Default Need info on torque converter replacement

Have you ever dropped a Transmission beofre in these trucks? It is not for the faint of heart. I just did my sons and its a real PIA, and I have all the tools and expereince. The Haynes manual does not provide 1 quarter the knowhow needed.

Call me if you want, 757-825-9930. There is too much to type on the nuances. My name is Doug