Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New MAF and EGR problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member
Kyle_Richard is on a distinguished road
Default New MAF and EGR problems

Ive read just about every thread dealing with MAF sensors and i still cant seem to make heads or tails of my problem so here it goes.

I recently had my MAF and EGR replaced because my 01 blazer 4.3 wasnt running right and those were the codes being thrown according to my mechanic. the car had no idling problem, but if i gave it too much gas it would hickup and i could only get it up do about 55-60 mph, about 1000 RPM shy of overdrive and she wouldn't accelerate faster or shift up. the only way to get the car to get its stride in overdrive was to slowly and i mean SLOWLY accelerate to 70 and then let off the gas just before i could hear it shif and she would just drop into overdrive, if i gave it too much gass however it would hold its speed and refuse to shift

Since the replacement, the hesitation doesnt seem noticable anymore but i havent gotten a chance to take it on the highway yet but now there appears to be an idling problem and my check engine light is back on with a MAF code being tripped.

Long story short i just wanted to know if this was normal for new MAF and EGR valves after replacement.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Have you checked the fuel filter for restriction?
Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?
Have you checked for an exhaust restriction?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Beginning Member

I havent checked any of those, im away at school and i have no tools with me so I was kinda banking on my mechanic checking stuff like that. As far as fuel restriction and my fuel filter, i had my lines checked and my filter and fuel pump replaced before i left home during winter vaca so im assuming its not either of those.

Last edited by Kyle_Richard; 02-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Beginning Member

the problems been resolved. the clamp holding my MAF to my intake hose was lose causing a massive leak which i just had to tighten up and she runs great. probably should checked that first. please excuse my incompetence.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

No problem, that's why a good visual inspection is so important Glad you found it, fixed it, and posted back.