Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

no lights at 4 button 4 wheel drive selector switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Lets get one thing straight real quick, when you turn your key on, I believe the lights on the switch are supposed to flash.
But, the TCCM will not make a noise until you push a button on the 4wd switch if it is working properly.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 PM
EZEARL is on a distinguished road

Yep. Sounds like an encoder problem.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
johnny_gogo is on a distinguished road

ok..update...i checked for power at both electric plugs that go to the tccm and they both do..and also it has a good ground there also...both plugs...so my question is where do i go next...recap....power at the tccm terminal plugs,and good ground, light just flashes once real quick when i turn the key on, new four button switch, no noise at the tccm or anywhere else...did the half hour battery disconnect and atc fuse pull...it's a good fuse...i dont know where to go next

Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 PM

"does the encoder motor supply power to the tccm..or is the other way around "

TCCM to encoder. Power may be going to the encoder but it's motor may be shot sticking the transfer case in between modes thus "freezing up" the system. Next step would be to have it scanned for tripped codes or get a used encoder at the salvage yard (I paid $65 for one that works fine).

Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Beginning Member

i'm going to replace the encoder motor today...i'm absolutely sure the new one wont line up with my transfer case...with me not having any way to put the transfer case in neutral electronicly...by the switch on the dash..how can i manually put it in neutral

Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Beginning Member

i didnt mean by the switch on the dash...

Old 05-30-2014, 07:37 PM

T/C wouludn't need to be in neutral. When I got my encoder from the salvage yard I decided to take it apart for a good cleaning and regrease job. Really nothing to them. Two round gears and one half moon gear which is the one for the t/c shaft. I'd remove the half moon gear and reposition it until it would line up with the t/c shaft and fit flush. Only took three times. Easier to do than to explain.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member

if the tccm, transfer case and old encoder motor are all together (stuck in a gear)..and i don't put the transfer case in neutral...how will the new encoder motor know what gear the t/c is in after i just spin the encoder motor to line it up to the t/c shaft

Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM

If the problem is indeed the electrics in the encoder the problem is it didn't complete the cycle into the mode you selected. Nothing is physically stuck(as in locked up). When you install the new encoder it will complete the cycle the old one started same as mine did. I'm guessing the motor has an open circuit beings it didn't blow a fuse. Mine had an intermittent short that would occasionally blow a fuse. It finally shorted completely and blew a fuse every time.

You may want to check for transmission fluid in the gears of the old motor and under the plastic motor cover. A seal leak between the trans and t/c can over fill the t/c letting fluid into the encoder and vacuum system. It's a common problem. Mine very slow leak so I'd periodically drain some out of the t/c so it was at it's proper level. Finally had it fixed when the trans was reconditioned.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member

update!!...changed encoder motor lights are now on switch...new problem cant get the new encoder to line up....how do i line them up...

Quick Reply: no lights at 4 button 4 wheel drive selector switch