Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

no lights at 4 button 4 wheel drive selector switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 PM
EZEARL is on a distinguished road

Won't fit flush against the t/c? Any idea what mode the encoder is in(new one should have a sticker telling you)? Don't activate the encoder out of the t/c.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member
johnny_gogo is on a distinguished road

it's not a new encoder motor...it's from a salvage yard...

Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 PM
EZEARL is on a distinguished road

Does the original one still line up? If so you need to get the gear in the salvage yard one lined up like it. Does it look like this one?

Attached Thumbnails no lights at 4 button 4 wheel drive selector switch-1003584.jpg  

Last edited by EZEARL; 06-07-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member

yes identical to it...hey by the way if i give you my phone number can you call me privately...*67....i'm not creepy

Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

new update...brand new encoder motor installed...got it lined up great...put everything back together great...it still on jack stands (all 4 tires)...re connected fuses for atc and 4 wheel drive...connected tccm,.. connected battery terminal...all good...started blazer, lights all work on dash switch, but now the problem is it wont come out of 4 hi...i pushed 2hi...light comes on dash for selection flashes... tccm makes the clicking noise..makes another clicking noise then returns back to 4 hi...all tires spinning...it does switch to auto 4 wheel but the front tires still spinning because their still engaged...i removed the hoses from the firewall switch still doing the same thing...also i put another tccm in i got from junk yard...still all same things going on...what to do to get out of 4hi back to 2hi...

Old 04-13-2017, 06:27 PM
Starting Member
bigginsdes is on a distinguished road
Default Keep going through 4x4 Selector switches

I have a 2000 jimmy and keep going through 4x4 Selector switches, I get a new one which is 2hi 2low 4 low and auto. Plug it in and everything works then shut vehicle off sometimes it comes back on a few times then just switch powers on and the switch goes back out. Sometimes unhook battery and works but then back to get a new one, I seen someone said the solder in new swich needs redone?

Old 04-14-2017, 12:25 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by johnny_gogo
new update...brand new encoder motor installed...got it lined up great...put everything back together great...it still on jack stands (all 4 tires)...re connected fuses for atc and 4 wheel drive...connected tccm,.. connected battery terminal...all good...started blazer, lights all work on dash switch, but now the problem is it wont come out of 4 hi...i pushed 2hi...light comes on dash for selection flashes... tccm makes the clicking noise..makes another clicking noise then returns back to 4 hi...all tires spinning...it does switch to auto 4 wheel but the front tires still spinning because their still engaged...i removed the hoses from the firewall switch still doing the same thing...also i put another tccm in i got from junk yard...still all same things going on...what to do to get out of 4hi back to 2hi...
4 tires spinning tells nothing on a 4-button NP236. Clutch pack in transfer case never completely disengages, even if 2WD light is displayed so that tells us nothing.

It is possible that your Transfer case shaft will not physically go into the 2WD position (or may be stuck a bit for some unknown reason). TCCM is receiving the correct signal from the switch, evidenced by the 2WD light flashing (light is driven by the TCCM). If your encoder motor is new and two different TCCMs give exactly same results, then I would pull the encoder motor off and make sure the transfer case will click through the entire range back and forth a number of times (use a wrench on the shaft). Shouldn't be too hard to change it between the different positions.

One very smart guy (Captain Hook) who used to post a lot here was adamant about needing to clear TCCM codes after installing or repairing the 4WD system - but I haven't experienced or heard the same from anyone else. Still I cleared mine after working on it, because I had equipment that could do it and he said so. Others have always reported success without clearing anything. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-14-2017 at 12:43 PM.