Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

O2 Sesnor and Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
HillbillyDeluxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O2 Sesnor and Water Leak

Ok, first off...

I have to fill my radiator once every other day for some reason, I gave up putting antifreeze in when it all ran away after the 3rd time, now tonight my girlfriend just called me and told me that she is sitting at a gas station because it overheated again, that would be the 2nd fill in one day....WHY??? it doesn't leak, I've looked and looked and looked and can't find a leak anywhere! It isn't getting it in the gas because I've had that problem before and the motor is not acting like that at all. So where is it all going? If it is leaking, where would it be leaking from, maybe I'm just blind!!

? No. 2

is there anyway to bypass the O2 sensor? can i take the wires off and cross them or something? I am wanting to put a custom made exhaust on it but don't know what to do about the sensor. And is there only 1 senso between the Cat and the Muf?

Thanx in Advance for all the answers. Help with the water leak ASAP would be great because once she nurses it back home I'm going to go diving in the garage to see what I can find at 11pm!! Where did my weekend go?

Thanx again!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: O2 Sesnor and Water Leak

no.1 check your oil... if it is foamy, say bye bye to the head gaskets... if you dont have a leak and you keep running out, it may be leaking into your oil.. have you noticed abnormally high oil pressure??

no.2 know that it is illegal to remove the cat...... and if you are not removing the cat then you need not worry about the o2 sensor in the exhaust...

Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

#1 - Definitely check your oil If you're filling it twice in one day, it's going somewhere. Also check the floor board on the passenger side. If the heater core is leaking, it may all get soaked up by the carpet and backing. Do you smell coolant inside the truck?

#2 - Well, to directly answer your question, the O2 sensor between the catalytic converter and the muffler is there for catalyst monitoring. It's operation is monitored by the PCM. Without modification of the PCM, you cannot remove it. You could however, replace the factory catalytic converter with a high flow unit and then just have the exhaust shop weld on a replacement O2 sensor bung and reinstall the old sensor.

There is another O2 sensor between the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifolds which definitely cannot be removed. This sensor is used to determine the proper fuel/air mixture.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:21 PM
HillbillyDeluxe is an unknown quantity at this point

so in other words, just get a new O2 Sensor, or two of them I guess and replace them and be done.

found the leak, it was the water pump, all the water was soaking up in the dirt that was packed under the truck inside the skid plate!! that was a lake when i took that off! anybody got any quick tips for the water pump, i haven't looked through the other forums yet, but im going to, just thought if someone would have a quick word or two for replacing this, i would take it, leaving in about 15min to go and get it!

thanx again for everyones help!

Hillbilly

Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a O2 code showing? I was under the assumption that you wanted to change the exhaust... If you don't have a code showing a fault in a specific O2 sensor, then I wouldn't recommend changing it...

Old 07-29-2007, 01:45 PM
mdemers2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

damn man! I just posted a post about lost of prestone myself on my 95 also...!!! What r the odds...water pump is easy though!Dude,I'll scan you the procedures...I got the GM book + the haynes...Funny,I guess its the odds havong teh same issue on the same year...

Another word,pull off the fan and the pump is right there..Let me know if you need those scaned please>Maybe & I hope its the pump for myself and no the intake

Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 AM
skyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hehe.. Speaking of missing fluid, Mine was leaking out of my radiator cap just before the intake problem i had

I guess it is that time of the year for leaking fluids LOL