Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Odd disappearing tick/knock bottom end

Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Odd disappearing tick/knock bottom end

hey everyone, i searched and searched youtube trying to find a motor with a tick or knock that sounded like mine and here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E--K...eature=related

sounds exactly the same, slow steady knock, knock, knock only heard underneath like this one, in engine bay cant be heard.

but the weird thing is somedays it makes that noise, others it dosent, and from what I can tell, only when it is warm.....dosent seem to do it starting it up cold.

a month or 2 ago it was very very noticable, does NOT get louder with higher rpm, the noise goes away when you hit the gas, its only there at idle.

im hoping its just an exhaust leak, but i fear the worse lol

Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have reverse piston slap... *joking*

An exhaust leak should be worse with a cold engine and get better as things warm up.

Have you tried using a slightly thicker oil to see if that quells the noise?

Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran

yup, im running 10-30 high milage to try slow the leaky rear crank seal

but pipe also expands when it gets hot, so if there was a gasket leak would it be possible to only make noise when it expands? thats what i was hoping for......

does it sound like the flex plate to you? ( i dont even know what it is )

thanks

edit: please rule out the crank or oil pump for me? I'm pretty worried its something serious......but people say that serious mechanical noises just dont go away and come back randomly......

Last edited by blazinloud; 10-18-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:51 PM
BF Veteran

does this still count as a double post? or is there a time limit or something.....well anyway.

ran a few tanks of injector cleaner, new oil, and its gone for now.....who knows what is was.....

think ill be ok running 10w30 when its like -40 or -50? or should i switch back for the winter to 5-30?

Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Adam. I have been quite busy and missed your reply.

Sounds like an oil change has resolved the noise. Time will tell though.

To answer your first question. No, that wouldn't be considered a double post. It isn't wrong to bump your post after waiting ~24 hours.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Seeker is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an exhust dampener (not sure that is the correct term). If it is, it'll be on your exhust pipe between the exhust manifold and the tail pipe. Their a wieghted spring loaded baffel and the spring is tempature sensitive. When the engine is cold it's in the closed position, heats up it opens all the way. As it ages the spring becomes worn/loose and flaps. Just wire it all the way open or remove it.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran

how do you find this thing? are you saying its right where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust piping, where that gasket is?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Seeker is on a distinguished road

Yes, if it has one. I've had 3 Chev's that had them. Usually right where the exhust manifold joins the tail pipe or cross over. Small piece w/a weight and coil spring on the outside of the pipe, might be in a small housing. If you have one (I know I don't have to say this but I do) with the engine COLD, you can grab hold of it and rotate it. Over time the spring becomes weak. Just wire it open, or take it out, or get a new one. It's purpose is t o help the motor warm up faster.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member
bouts5991 is on a distinguished road

i think id rather it be the crank gone then not knowing... cranks are pretty cheep. and only take a couple of hours to replace