Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

possible bottom end knock mystery

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
614blazer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation possible bottom end knock mystery

ok so my 98 blazer is having a knock now many new parts now this. how it all started drove it to a store about 30 min away and got a call my mom got in a wreck so i rushed to see if she was alright going about 80 on freeway i know illegal. when i got off the freeway exit and went to take off from a stop light i heard knocking and i can feel the knock when i put my hand on the lower intake and gets worse upon accel.. it never done this. long story short check if my mom was alright went home and it knocked only when i gave it gas around 1,500 rpm and above loud knock. let go of the gas rattle knock then at idle nothing. well i had a big ? above my head. well the next day i went to start it loud knock at idle and gets louder upon accel. then i let off gas and i hearing a squeaking right where the trans and motor meet. and i took the cap off the bell housing with it runing and the flexplate/torque converter wobles slightley. my mechanic told me to check the torqce converter bolts they was tight now another mechanic told my check the flexplate to see if its broken- cracked- or losse. and he also said it could spun a rod bearing. wth im confused need help ASAP is the motor shot/ replace it or can i save it and rebuild the bottom end. help. need to get to work and have a baby on the way......??? sorry for long thread just entering as much info a possible..

Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Beginning Member
steves88 is on a distinguished road

First hope your Mom is ok. I would start with lifters or any moving parts in the upper half. If everything looks good, then you might have to go down below (crankcase) All the gauges good? Oil pressure ? Let me keep thinking

Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Beginning Member
uemf is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread... sorry to revive but since I don't see a resolution...

check your starter. I had to replace my starter because of a knocking sound. it would come and go depending if at idle. the starter drive gear would not retract completely(but then when I pulled the access port on the bell housing I could hear the knocking get louder.)