Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

odd rpm's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. This sounds like things are working as they should, but you are just right on the edge, speed and throttle position wise, of a point where the transmission wants to unlock the torque converter to add additional RPM to sustain the speed. Now if this is happening at more than one speed/throttle position...

Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

the only speed ive noticed this at is 70mph, city driving and any other speeds lower than 70 are a-ok.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 AM
jasonshepp is on a distinguished road

I am actually having the same problem (or at least very similar). My transmission is doing the same thing where it will rev up to 2500 or so for a few minutes, then rev back down, and back up... you get the gist. It does this at every speed that I can hold steady between 45 and 80 MPH, but only when the transmission gets warmed up. I'm in the midst of replacing the filter (most likely won't work, I know, but for $20 or so, it can't hurt) even though the fluid looked relatively good (only a mild hint of darkening, not burnt smell). I did notice a bit of foam on the dipstick when I checked the fluid level. Suggestions?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Foaming transmission fluid is not good. This can cause accelerated wear on the transmission components. Foaming fluid can be caused by a low fluid level as well as a leak on the suction side of the pump allowing air to get entrained into the system. If it happens at more than one speed, then there may be a problem with the TCC solenoid in the transmission not holding properly to keep it locked in.

In the case of it happening at various speeds, there also could be a problem with the brake switch adjustment. If it is activating, it will cause the torque converter to unlock.