Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil drain plug metal shavings

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM
03chevyblaze is on a distinguished road
Default Oil drain plug metal shavings

Hello everyone...so I did my oil change today...2,000 miles after the last one...did it 1,000 miles sooner than regular because I just had my intake gaskets replaced about a month ago. (wasnt 2 sure if coolant had mixed with oil when manifold gasket failed.) This is only about the 4th time I do my own oil change. It always seemed faster and convenient to take it to walmart and have them change it. Anyway...I noticed tiny metal shavings on the tip of the drain plug (a little more than the last time I performed an oil change)and was wondering how "bad" or how "normal" it is to have metal on the drain plug. It must have the magnet for a reason right? Oh and I couldn't tell if coolant mixed with my oil but It did smell a little funky.
Thanks for all the help....4 door 4.3L 57,000 miles

Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
03chevyblaze is on a distinguished road

I guess this was a dumb question????

Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not a dumb question, but maybe a dumb follow-up post.

Listen, we all have lives outside of the forum as I'm sure you do as well. We don't all sit here waiting with bated breath for people to post so we can answer it (well, not all of us anyway). As stated in the rules of the forum, if you've waited at least a day (24hrs) and haven't received a response, you can bump your post, but best to leave witty sarcasm out of the equation.

As far as metal shavings being bad, it all depends on the amount. Since you have given no indication on how much, there is no way of actually saying yes or no either way. To a certain extent there will always be some amount of fine metal particles on a magnetic oil plug if it is doing its job. Every engine is different, but when you start to see large particles and/or large quantities of particles, you should be worried. Usually, your oil pressure will suffer as an indication of problems.