Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Filter Hoses 95 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Beginning Member
Fozman9501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Filter Hoses 95 blazer

So i picked up my 95 blazer from this guy who was replacing my tranny last night and was driving home for a good 20 mins, next think i know my check gages light came on then i had 0 oil pressure, so i pulled over to look at the oil dip stick, bone dry, so then i just had to get oil in it asap so i put 3 1/2 qts and started it to get the oil running through again, check gage light went off, so i thought i was good, but when i went to close the hood, i almost stepped in 3 1/2 qts of oil on the ground..... its leaking from the hose that leads to the oil filter, i know that there is a hose the runs to the filter and then from the filter, but im not sure which hose it is, but its the closest hose to you when you open that little door underneath. the hose itself ripped off the pressure clamp, so i was wondering if there was an easy way to fix this or if i have to get all new hoses leading to and from the oil filter, new to this site so if anyone could help it would be greatly appriciated

Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are other fixes that have been posted in the past. The easiest is to remove the outer portion of the crimped connection and use a hose clamp with some new hose. Be careful not to damage the inner portion of the line though.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member

so pretty much just cut that metal end off, then put the rubber hose over the metal tubing? and use a hose clamp? would that hold the pressure?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not want to replace the lines with new, you cut off only the outer portion of the crimp, not the whole end. The part that is left will be ribbed which will provide enough interruption to hold the line given the pressure in the system.

I would recommend you replace the lines with new tripple crimp lines (three crimps at each crimped connection). The Dorman lines seem to hold up pretty good.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member

ok thanks for all your help

Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 AM
z28jeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Here...
http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=82513
I've bought the factory replacements from the dealer (they leaked), I've bought the Dorman ones from Autozone (they leaked worse). I'm now ready to replace these lines for the 3rd time in 7 years. I'm going to try the hose clamp method this time. Seems nothing else works, so I'm game to try something different.
I never understood why it's so hard to seal a 60psi oil line.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did this
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=764277
AN fittings and SS line, so I don't have to worry about them anymore.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator

I have brazed on hydraulic fittings to the aluminum lines before and then had light duty hydraulic hoses made to fit. Kind of expensive, but you won't have to mess with them again.