Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

oil on plug threads

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Qumodo is on a distinguished road
Default oil on plug threads

i was changing the plugs on the blazer today a royal pain in the a** and i noticed that the old ones had oil on the treads. what's causing this? head gasket leak? any help would be great.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

Was it on the plug electrode as well? If not, it could just be the anti-seize

Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

right. if the tips were clean, but the threads were goo'd up, that means some one had foresight. BUT was it all of them? one or two on one side? etc. if they were all like that, chances are they got a taste of an anti-seize coating before going in making an otherwise miserable job, just a royal PITA

but if it was, for example, just the rear two on the passenger side, now you are looking at a possible issue.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 PM

it wasnt all of them it was like half of them and i didnt pay attention to which ports they came out of. but it was just the threads the tips were clean. it didnt look like anti-seize i put that on the new plugs and it was a silver compound, this looked and smelled like oil.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you don't have a leaking valve cover? Oil could migrate down to the plugs. BTW, not all anti-seize compund is silver; the one I used was copper colored.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 AM

a leaking valve cover is possible altho i do not see anything. what would be the best way to tell and how hard are the valve cover gaskets to replace?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:21 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you take a flashlight, lift the flap inside the wheelwell, you can see the plugs quite well and if there are oil trails going down to them, there you go. Changing the gaskets would not be difficult after you clear the air intake and some hoses out of the way to get to the covers.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:31 AM

thanks for the advice ABN31B i will keep an eye on them over the next week or so.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

it was rriddle3 that pulled that one out

Old 12-25-2009, 11:03 PM

my bad thanks rriddle3

Quick Reply: oil on plug threads