Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

One Problem Solved (kinda) another created

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
cdg31487 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Problem Solved (kinda) another created

I have 1996 blazer 4.3L . It was doing the typical not startring on the first try until warm deal. I replaced the fuel filer and the preasure regulator, now it starts on the first crank every time without issue. However, it runs like complete crap, it seems like the injectors are just dumping fuel into the cylinders, andit sound like its missing. It threw a CEL but I do not have a reader to tell me what code it is. Does anyone have some insight for me here? Did i totally mess something up or is it common? Help!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: One Problem Solved (kinda) another created

When you replaced the FPR, did you reuse the nut kit (internal fuel lines) or get a new one?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 AM

I reused everything, the only thing I replaced was the regulator and the o-rings and screen, and then the fuel filter. Removal and installation went smoother than I anticipated actualy. I reset the computer and then restarted it and there is no Service light for a few minutes, and then it pops on. All the while it runs horrible. Im in the dark with this.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Run another fuel pressure test, specifically paying attention to the pressure after you turn the key off. Ten to one, your internal fuel lines (the nut kit that Jason is referring to) are leaking. They should not be reused.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM

Well I ran a test. Start up psi after the fuel pump came up and dropped off. So I started taking everything back apart and inspecting it all. I found one of the pins in the plug for the injectors was bent. But now that I have it all apart. I think I am going to replace the internal fuel lines. They do not look damaged or broken, just the normal 80k grime. I dont really want to take this thing all apart again tho. Is the kit usually available at an autoparts store, or is this something I am going to have to get at the dealer and get raped on?

Old 07-10-2008, 04:03 PM
raylo is an unknown quantity at this point

These guys have 'em for reasonable $. http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm

Be careful taking off the torx bolt that holds the fuel line retainer onto the back of the intake. Chevput it on with red threadlock. It's easier with the lower intake manifold off the truck but you don't want to go there unless you have to. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 AM

Well I got it all figured out, It runs great now, my local parts store had what I needed and it runs great. However, Cold starting it still has to be cranked and cranked and cranked. What else could it be? The fuel pump? It get plenty of preasure when it is running. I guess I need to do another test. Any ideas on what else could be going on?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is your fuel pressure still dropping? Does it matter if you key on, wait for the pump to shut off, key off and repeat twice, then try to start it? Also, how long are you holding the key in the crank position for?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 AM

I can hear the pump stop, and when I crank, if i hold it for a long time it doesnt seem to make a difference. I also found that I can start it up no problem when I pour a little gas into the throttle body. Im kinda stumped here. I want to think it is the fuel pump, but that doesnt seem to fit 100% either. Has anyone seen this before?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM

Anyone?

Quick Reply: One Problem Solved (kinda) another created