Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Opinions welcomed on 1997 jimmy, possible engine problem?(Video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM
tricky is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions welcomed on 1997 jimmy, possible engine problem?(Video)

Hello everyone,

My apologies for creating a new thread and my first post asking for help.

I have been tasked to do some research online until taken in. I do not know much, so my knowledge is limited.

The vehicle is a 1997 gmc jimmy which ran ok for a bit, then ran into a few problems.

The problem happened recently after the check engine light came on. It was driven a few miles while the light was on. Parked, not driven for a couple days and next time was driven check engine light went off. A few days goes by driving fine until check engine light comes on again and vehicle is not driven for a few days.

When attempting to start the vehicle, it will try and start but then won't. It makes a clicking noise afterwards. Only attempted to start vehicle a few times afterwards with no luck.

Another thing when starting the vehicle it will not start but if you step on the gas a little as giving it a little boost the vehicle will start to run. I have been advised not to do this though.

Called friend, have to wait a couple days to go over and test and charge battery and he can take a look.

I have a hard time explaining things, so I went to record a video of what it does and the vehicle actually started.

I shall post another video of what it does as I know it will not start again in the morning.

This is the video (apologies for keeping the door open )

Possible problems: (Some of these may have nothing to do with it, just what has been replaced before or similar)

Engine?
Battery?
Alternator?
Fuel pump?
Starter?
Solenoid?
Trans?
Engine coil?
Loose wires?

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by tricky; 06-27-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Ok, 1st off get that check engine light read at some auto parts place that reads them for free, there are many.
My thoughts are low fuel pressure, possibly clogged filter. The clicking noise is a low battery not allowing the starter solenoid to run.
Check the distributor, rotor & wires throughly because there may be a voltage to the plugs issue.
Vacuum lines are another thing to check - simply spray brake cleaner over the lines as it's running & any change in the revs = a leak. Change that line out.

Get under the vehicle & hit the catalytic converter, listen for "junk" rattling. It may have to be replaced.

Get the codes read at Pep Boys etc & let us know what they are... that's the best starting point.
All the other things I've said are just 'thoughts' of what may cause those issues untill we know the codes.

BTW no appologies needed, because you posted it in the right thread. WTG!!! & TY lol

Last edited by Rottidog; 06-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
mzedalis is on a distinguished road

I had a similiar issue with the ignition coil. Wouldent arc unless i misted it. The arc would make the clicking sound. It would even do it after it was shut down.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 AM
tricky is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, thank you for your answers. My apologies for not responding sooner, but I am not on the Internet often. Anyways, I was initially told to change the battery and did so and the vehicle ran fine for about 2 weeks.

After two weeks, the check engine light would go on and off every few days and the vehicle itself would run rough. Mainly when going up to 10-20 mph would it feel like it's slipping, but for the most part would run fine. Now I stopped driving it, to prevent further problems but have to run it every couple days as it is cold where I am and don't want it to completely die.

Anyways, these are the codes that have come up: 740, 753, 758, 1860.

I have tried researching online if people have had similar problems, I have yet to find someone with the same codes. It is usually one or two but then a few different ones.

I will have to take it to a trans shop, but I would like to try and find out as much as I can as they are going to charge me to just look at it to figure out what the problem is and then how much it is going to cost for repairs.

I have read it could be anything from electrical to transmission problems. If it is a transmission problem, it is not worth repairs. If it is an electrical or smaller problem then I probably can.

Btw, thank you to Rottidog and mzedalis for answering my other question very quickly, greatly appreciate it.

All comments and opinions are welcomed, thanks.