Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Overfilling transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Starting Member
MsLLA is on a distinguished road
Angry Overfilling transmission fluid

Seeking advise...

Ack!I knew i needed 1/4-maybe 1/2 qt of tranny fliud... but.... My neighbor thought he was helping & poured a whole qt of tranny fluid in my engine
(tranny) ...now it registers why over (1-1.5" over) the "add fluid" mark. Now it will not shift into reverse!
What do I do? Drain it? Ugh!!!!

Advise would be much appreciate... If its something I can do...or do I need a mechanic.

Thanks

(2000 Blazer 4x4, 4.3L)

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

one way you can do is pull a transmission line off the radiator and have someone in the truck to start it and shut it off after it sprays out like a qt or 2 of fluid. thats the way ive always done it but yeah it sucks cause its going to make a mess

Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Pickup some hose small enough to fit snug over the line,remove the lower cooler line. Put the hose on the line,put the hose into a water bottle (so you can see how much)

Start her up,it'll drain QUICK. reattach,check.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

they also make these things called fluid extractors. they have long hoses on them that you can put down the dipstick tube and suck that thing almost dry. some of them are manual, some of them are air powered like this one. the air powered ones are nice, but they arent cheap. but if you service your own stuff, they might be worth looking into.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Starting Member
MsLLA is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
Originally Posted by MsLLA
Seeking advise...

Ack!I knew i needed 1/4-maybe 1/2 qt of tranny fliud... but.... My neighbor thought he was helping & poured a whole qt of tranny fluid in my engine
(tranny) ...now it registers why over (1-1.5" over) the "add fluid" mark. Now it will not shift into reverse!
What do I do? Drain it? Ugh!!!!
Thank you!!

Originally Posted by chris015
Pickup some hose small enough to fit snug over the line,remove the lower cooler line. Put the hose on the line,put the hose into a water bottle (so you can see how much)

Start her up,it'll drain QUICK. reattach,check.
Thank you, I think I will look into a fluid extractor!

Originally Posted by Twip
they also make these things called fluid extractors. they have long hoses on them that you can put down the dipstick tube and suck that thing almost dry. some of them are manual, some of them are air powered like this one. the air powered ones are nice, but they arent cheap. but if you service your own stuff, they might be worth looking into.