Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

p0174

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road
Default p0174

Hey all, I'm experiencing a P0174 only when I'm wheeling (lean condition bank 2). This is in addition to my 'give it gas, hesitates and bogs' condition. I've been reading maybe I should look at my 02 sensors? I figured that would throw a code though for 02...

-OSS

Old 03-17-2012, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Old Skool Soldier
Hey all, I'm experiencing a P0174 only when I'm wheeling (lean condition bank 2). This is in addition to my 'give it gas, hesitates and bogs' condition. I've been reading maybe I should look at my 02 sensors? I figured that would throw a code though for 02...

-OSS
No it wouldnt.. WHAT 'give it gas, hesitates and bogs' condition?
I went through your previous postsand didnt see any ref to that.
EDIT and ADD:
I've been reading maybe I should look at my 02 sensors?
I dont know what you mean by that. Yes you should, if you know what to look for.. how the sensors act in various power conditions can tell you a lot. After the VCM interprets their reactions. That's called 'Short term fuel trim' when you look at it with a scanner.

If you mean look at as in 'suspect them'.. then..
One more time, guys.. the O2 sensors are messengers. If you read bad political news do you kill or replace the reporter?
Oh.. wait....bad example.

How about this.. you have a carbon monoxide detector.. every so often it goes off. What do you do? Replace the battery then if it still happens replace the CO detector?

With your other symptoms which ALSO point to LEAN, that O2 is probably the first one to report.
Assuming you have done a Fuel Pressure / Leakdown test and it's fine..

Warm up your engine, turn it off, disconnect the MAF connector, drive it and see if it's better.

Then if that doesnt help. Check your ECT.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

a few months ago I was trying to diagnose a 'WOT hesitatio/bogg" in my truck (I'm finishing up my 2yr automotive program at college). We did fuel pressure, was fine, tested MAP, was fine, no exhaust restrictions. I had my MAF unplugged and it did run better, but as expected, shifts were erratic. Truck would scream at high RPM's but just wouldn't go anywhere.

Sometimes on a cold start, I'd give it some throttle to get up to speed, and my RPM's would drop and just bog. Fuel filter is okay, as is air filter. fuel pressure is in spec, I think I recall perhaps a lean condition..I can't even spin my tires lol

-OSS

Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Okay.. that's confusing as hell. If your truck runs 'better' at any time with the MAF unplugged, it needs cleaning at the least. Usually it doesnt show as much difference as when engine is up to temp because it's running rich, anyway.
It MAY even be noisy, though I would think that would cause out of range code to show. Cant be sure.
And I dont see what the MAF has to do with erratic shifts. The shifting paradigm should be throttle angle and manifold vacuum with RPM.

Course that's based on what I know from Ford EFI and it's pretty straightforawrd. MAF is used for Fuel Trim. And if MAF isnt available then a virtual map is used instead.

The classic cause of bog and hesitation during Open loop is a vacuum leak