Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

P1133 Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Beginning Member
Tenagator is on a distinguished road
Default P1133 Code

So last week I had the P1133 code, that's the only one.
I know what it means so I ask what have others done about this?
Tuesday it was 0 degrees and Wednesday it was 5. Tuesday no issue, Wednesday is when it came on. I let it warm up 10-15 minutes before driving. I was driving about 3 minutes when the SES light came on, nothing unusual about the running condition. Got it scanned later than day, cleared it and no light since.
Is it possible it was a fluke? due to cold weather?
I check the O2 (bank 1, before the cat)and it was plugged in, no wire rub through that I can see.
Its a new 02, approx. a month old.
I read it can have something to do with the vacuum? according to the code.
Again a week later and no light.
Suggestions???
Thanks

Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1995 had 3 different computer control systems. If yours gave you a DTC starting with "P", it narrows the possibilities down to two systems. Diagnostics are different between the two systems. Either way, P1133 is insufficient switching in the oxygen sensor. If there are no other DTC's in memory, and you just replaced the sensor a month ago, get another one. Avoid Bosch if at all possible and go with Denso or AC Delco.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member

I have installed the Denso brand, I thought it was Standard, but I checked the receipt.
It has not come on again, will it take multiple failures to trip the SES light?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the PCM detects a failure during the test on 2 consecutive key cycles, it will turn the SES light on and set the DTC in memory. The PCM turns off the SES light after 3 consecutive drive trips with no failure detected. The DTC will clear itself from the history file after 40 consecutive warm ups without a failure.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member

So yesterday the SES light reappeared, check out the code and it was P1133 again.
I put that Denso O2 in on December 10th.
Yesterday I cleared the code and put the old O2 back in to see of I get a light again, since previous I never had a light on, even after the spider change. I'm thinking the Denso is defective so maybe this will help I'm chasing down the problem.
I can get a replacement Denso free, or do I go for a Delco?
I initially changed it to see if my gas mileage
improved, it has not.
Only get 10-11mpg, I know it should be better.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM

In post #2, I mentioned that your vehicle could have one of two different computer control systems... need to know which one you have

Does your engine look like this?

Name:  CMFI.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  73.5 KB

And, in the following image, which sensor did you replace?

Name:  96_97_HO2S_loc.jpg
Views: 4139
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

Yes the engine is that same one pictured. Sorry I didn't reply about that.
For the 02 I replaced the one before the cat, I only have two (2) pre cat and post cat.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 PM

For future reference, your vehicle has CMFI, (Central Multiport Fuel Injection) and uses OBD1.5 engine controls. The system is not fully compliant with OBDII requirements. It has a unique protocol that it uses to communicate with scan tools. Not all scan tools will communicate with it.

1. Check for, and repair, any exhaust leaks from the engine to the rear of the converter.

2. Check fuel pressure and leakdown. Key on, engine off, fuel pump running, pressure must be 55psi to 61psi. Pressure must remain above 50psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off.

If all checks are ok, stick another sensor in there and see what happens.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member

Ok thanks a lot, I appreciate the insight.
I use a OBDII scanner and it works, I read some 95's it will work, others it wont.
I or others I know in the automotive industry don't even have an OBD1.5 I already asked all my friends with no luck.
I have not seen any leaks in the exhaust from the headers back at all, I have checked a few times for one.
The pressure "should" be fine, I just had a fuel pump installed in September, they did a leak down there, after the install, BUT I did the spider after the fuel pump.
When I asked about the pressure test he said it was fine, but I do know the regulator was leaking, SO that means the pressure couldn't have been fine, or they didn't do it for the 10-20 minutes.
I did not do a leak down after I installed the new spider assembly and nut kit, I assumed it would be fine. I have looked inside the engine though a week after the install of the spider through the top of the plenum with a flash light and had someone do a few key turns to see if I seen a leak or seen any fuel inside, it looked clean just as the day I took it apart and cleaned it when I replaced the spider.
however I will try to do a leak down test on the fuel line.
Again I appreciate the responses.
I like the Jimmy but its been a headache, I got it cheap but now im putting cash into it..to much it seems!
I'm waiting to head out to a friends tonight to do a coolant pressure test, I got some antifreeze down low on the crank sensor area...hoping its just the water pump gasket and not the you know what....I cant seem to pin point it, to much in the way...you know how it goes.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 PM

Just because the fuel pump is new, is no guarantee that it's good, especially if it's an aftermarket pump, (lotta problems with aftermarket pumps).

The fuel delivery system is the weak point on this engine, and it is crucial that it works correctly. If pressure and or leakdown are out of spec, it will have performance issues.

Don't really have to worry so much about lower intake manifold gaskets leaking coolant on this engine. 1996 and newer, yeah, there a known problem... probably the water pump on yours

Quick Reply: P1133 Code