Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

P1886 code Help with changing 3-2 solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:17 AM
midnightride_69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P1886 code Help with changing 3-2 solenoid

Ok here we go. I have a 1996 blazer lt 4x4 four door. I spent about $150 for plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and a fuel filter today. On the way to my cousins house to change everything my ses light came on, so i was driving by autozone so i pulled in to have the codes scanned. Well i had to stop at a stop sign and when i started to go i noticed that the blazer felt like it was starting out in 3rd gear. Well they scanned the code and it was the p1886 and they said i needed a 3-2 solenoid that goes in the transmission. I searched this forum and didnt find much on this so i figured i would ask about this solenoid. A guy at autozone said that i had to drop the valve body to replace this solenoid and said that i shouldnt attempt it on my own, but i told him that i do all the work on my vehicles no matter what it is. Well he sold me a solenoid for 30 bucks and on the receipt it says that it is a tcc lock up solenoid so i dont even think it is the part i need anyways and it will not be here until tuesday. Ive decided not to use it and will get my money back on tuesday because im going to buy one at the dealership since it is a very important part and oem would probably be better. Here is the big question, has anyone every changed one of these and do i have to drop the valve body? Is there any special tools i will need to do it? How is the solenoid mounted in the valve body? I found a diagram on here that shows where it is located and it doesnt look like it would be that bad of a job, now the tcc lock up solenoid that they sold me on the other hand looks to be way up in the transmission and that would require the valve body to be dropped i would expect. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: P1886 code Help with changing 3-2 solenoid

I do believe that you will have to drop the valve body, but you may want to try it without removing it first. Also, I seem to remember that the solenoids are the same, it is just what they connect to that is different.

Are you comfortable removing the valve body?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes if i had to remove it i would comfortable doing it. I like a good challange. I found this diagram on one of your other post http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._solenoids.gifand the part they sold me was the tcc number 66 which looks totally different from the 3-2 solenoid. I also watched a video on youtube of them taking a valve body off the transmission and it kinda looks like the valve body hangs low enough from the transmisson housing that i should be able to pull the solenoid out without having to pull the valve body. I have never had a pan off of one of these so i dont know. I guess i will find out when i do the job next week when i get the part. I will reply when im done so others with this problem will know.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I must have been thinking of the 1-2 / 2-3 solenoids. Good luck. If you need further assistance, let us know.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Hey Swartlkk- How would i check for voltage at the harness for the 3-2 solenoid? Would i just check it at the harness with a meter with the key in the run position or what? And also is there anything else that may cause p1886 code besides the 3-2 solenoid? Just want to make sure im on the right track so i dont have to drop the pan twice. If i had the money i would replace every solenoid in the tranny and not worry about it. thanks

Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

The biggest problem is that you need a scan tool with bi-directional control (Dealer Tech2 or equivalent) to test for the proper voltage to the shift solenoid. This is either a wiring or a solenoid problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Well i got the right solenoid from the dealership today and put it in and it fixed the problem. You dont have to drop the valve body to change one of the solenoids, you just drop the pan and pull the spring clip holding in the solenoid and pop it out. My old one had melted plastic coming out of the side of it by the connector, so it was pretty fried. I just figured i would let everyone know incase someone else has this problem. I cant stand reading a post from like a year ago and it sounds like the same problem im having at the time and they seem to never reply back with what fixed the problem.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
sledatvterror is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 3-2 solenoid p1886

Thank you! very helpful, same issue but intermittent in nature. i plan to replace all 3 shift solenoids for the cost. i appreciate your final response with the fix. you tube was a great help too.
thanks again, craig