Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Please help me out with this annoying problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member
Madson26 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to update... All that mess was a $70 fan clutch and about an hour and a half... Roars extra loud at start-up now, but quiet while running speed downhill. I do believe she's good to go

Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Good work!

Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Nice! Glad to hear you got it fixed.
​​​​​

Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

I spoke too soon... It still does it. I found out heading out of town for the weekend. 🤬
But I was surfing another forum and FINALLY found someone else that has had the same problem. It turns out that it's one of the forks inside the transfer case, but I don't know which one (load fork maybe?). Either way it looks like a rebuild is coming soon.

This will make the 5th transfer case in my S-series ownership since 03. I should have bought an Atlas or a Stak for my SFA 95, but this will be my first issue with the NP233

Old 04-01-2019, 05:17 AM
BF Veteran

The tcase fork is causing the problem? How does that work?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
The tcase fork is
causing the problem? How does that work?
This is the explanation I got from another forum...

it has nothing to do with the tq converter, transmission or tune. It’s the transfer case. This was 3 trucks ago for me so my memory is a little fuzzy but I believe it was a worn fork that allows it to be between gears when being driven backwards(wheels driving the rotation of the drivetrain-not the engine(not physicaly driving backwards)). But then it realigns when imput torque comes from the engine again. Get a new transfer case, rebuild yours, either way you will solve the problem. I had a pump rub kit in mine, still did it, 2 different issues.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran

Hmm. Seems weird but who knows. The Np233 is really easy to rebuild, I just went through mine a month or so ago. Rock auto has good prices on rebuild kits.

There's about a million c clips you'll have to remove, which is awful. You can do it with snap ring pliers, that's what I did. I ground off the points to be able to use the wider part. If you can come across some c clip pliers, that would make the job much easier. Think snap ring pliers, but the ends are wider.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Beginning Member

The fella on the other forum was 100% correct! I just got it out of the shop today with the case rebuilt. I feel like I got a good deal having it cost $605 all in. 335 to r&r and 270 for the rebuild. Everything inside is new and the cases hot tanked. The shift fork was completely wasted and the planetary wasn't far behind. He showed me the old parts compared to new ones. The BlaZR2 is back on the road and not afraid to take her anywhere! Thanks again for the help

Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran

$605 to rebuild a tcase! Sheesh, I need to start a side business. I would only charge 500 lol.

Glad you got it figured out, man!

Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
$605 to rebuild a tcase! Sheesh, I need to start a side business. I would only charge 500 lol.

Glad you got it figured out, man!
Thanks. I just closed on my house last week and I'm moving. I have everything packed up and nowhere to work. I paid 270 for the full rebuild. A shop across the lot from the garage that rebuilt it charged me more to pull it and reinstall and fluid. 335. Normally I would have pulled it myself but I was in a spot

Quick Reply: Please help me out with this annoying problem