Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Possible drivetrain problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Beginning Member
ednasgoldfishuk is on a distinguished road
Default Possible drivetrain problem?

So the millionair dollar question, what is wrong with my car, or maybe its nothing, or maybe that is too optimistic!

So I've noticed recently when driving at lower RPM's in the city, it seems the car is not sure which gear to be in (sorry technical know how isnt that hot), it will shift around alot, a good example was I was driving at 60kmph (40mph) the other day and it felt a bit weird, so I put it in cruise control to see what happened, it kept jumping through gears, so it would rev upto 2k, change up a gear, drop to 1.5k and then a second or two later would shift back down and revs back up to 2k? I checked the transmission fluid, and its not low, and from the color its more similar to the central picture below, maybe with a bit more brown but not much, any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Possible drivetrain problem?-transmission_fluid_withverbage.jpg  
Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound too far out of the ordinary... 40MPH is definitely a speed which can cause the transmission to hunt. What will it do if you drop it down into 3rd? What are the RPMs then?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member
ednasgoldfishuk is on a distinguished road

Yea it also feels like the car has alot of rolling resistance, so that could be something to do with it, but its hard to say if that rolling resistance is normal or not, I had an F150 before this and that didnt seem so bad. Ok it might sound like a dumb question, but how do I manually change gears in an automatic?