Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

97 4wd Blazer Drivetrain, howl/grind

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
vdubb16 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 4wd Blazer Drivetrain, howl/grind

hello, noob to this particular forum, ive got issues.. here wat i got...

i thought i was hearing a very minor howl when up to highway speeds, resembled a rear wheel bearing issue i had in a trans am. but i figure it was uneven tire wear or some other worn out suspension parts ive yet to get too causing tires to make road noise. a 120 mile round trip yesterday turn that small howl, into and obnoxious howling and grinding when i was giving it even the slightest bit of throttle. the howl sounds like its more up front, but the grind comes more middle to the rear.... the grinding is like the worst fingernails on a chalkboard kinda grind. and this slowly got worse and to the point i couldnt stand it any louder/faster than 55mph.... any ideas b4 i go trouble shooting in the F'n freezing cold. ive checked trans fluid its fine, thats all ive gotten to so far...

Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the noise change at all when you turn left or right? How about if you engage 4wd?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM
vdubb16 is on a distinguished road

havnt noticed any changes left or right at say 45mph or higher, it only varies intensity with speed and throttle.... 4wd hi and low/ are both the same. of course 4 low i wasnt running at 55mph.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member
rllamarca is on a distinguished road

sounds like a hub and bearing assembly to me dood, had that issue and drove all the way to canada and back (700 miles) with the noise which was probably not the best idea. when i got back i checked here to see what it might have been. in order to check if it is the hub and bearing assembly, get the car up on a jack and have the suspect wheel in the air. try to wobble the wheel up and down and left and right. if there is alot of play and your getting a grinding noise, its most likely the hub and bearing assembly. replaced drivers side and now the passengers side needs a new one.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Beginning Member
rllamarca is on a distinguished road

to add to the above post, just recently getting under the car and checking to see if it actually is my bearing set up on the passengers side i came to find that because its only been bad for about a hundred miles the hum is still there but there isnt really any play up and down. im figuring that this is because it hasnt been bad for long enough to leave any play in that direction. dont rule it out completely if you dont feel any play