Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Potential major problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 AM
crater is on a distinguished road
Default Potential major problems?

2003 Blazer, autotrans, 2wd. Let me first say, I SCREWED UP. I admit from the get-go, but I hoping that someone will be easy on me and offer some advice.

Recently I thought that my trans was shifting hard, mainly not going into another gear while climbing a hill. I bought a bottle of Lucas trans. stuff and put it in. Recently while I was under the truck checking out the trans mount (shot) I noticed a black/watery substance all across the cross member and seemed to be coming from the hole in the mount. Never did leak onto the ground.

I could not figure out what it was, as trans fluid is red and it had no smell of anykind. Now I fiqured out that I over filled trans since I did not drain any fluid before I added the entire bottle of Lucas.

Yesterday, I did notice a small drop of trans fluid on the garage floor.

I have bought a bottle of No Leak, (red bottle, by the makers of sta-bil).

Should I completely drain the fluid, add the no leak and top of with new trans fluid or am I screwed?

Like I said, I MESSED UP, so please be gentle with me LOL.

Many thanks in advance for any advice...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the truck up to full operating temperature (trans included), engine running, and the truck on a flat/level surface, where does the trans level show on the dipstick?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
With the truck up to full operating temperature (trans included), engine running, and the truck on a flat/level surface, where does the trans level show on the dipstick?
Thaanks for the reply. The fluid level is bout a 1/4 inch above the top part of the hot mark on the stick.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can try removing a transmission cooler line & directing both openings to a bucket or pan to lower the level down. Or get a vacuum extractor & pull the excess fluid out through the dipstick tube.

Have you determined where it is leaking from? That would be high on my list before adding any for of stop-leak product. Could just be coming out the breather tube on the top of the transmission due to the over full condition.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You can try removing a transmission cooler line & directing both openings to a bucket or pan to lower the level down. Or get a vacuum extractor & pull the excess fluid out through the dipstick tube.

Have you determined where it is leaking from? That would be high on my list before adding any for of stop-leak product. Could just be coming out the breather tube on the top of the transmission due to the over full condition.
Thanks again, it is definetly coming from the bottom of the trans. It appears to be between where it sits on the mount and where it goes into the drive shaft.

Since it has over 130K and I just bought it and do not know how it was maintaned, would it be a bad idea to just drain all of it and and the stop leak The fluid coming out of it now is really not that dirty (red).

UPDATE: O.K. I removed some of the fluid and the level is right where it should be. It seems to shifting better. However, I still have the leak. Since I orginally used Lucas Trans Fix, should I remove some more and try the Lucas again, or would it be O.K. to use the No-Leak, which I already have on hand? The leak sure appears to becoming from the bottom of the trans.

Thanks again for all the help..

Last edited by crater; 11-14-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 AM

O.K. I have drained