Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

question about transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So if I'm scoring at home

which I wouldn't be telling you folks, then it looks like tranny flush is sounding good. Replace the filter when you put in a tranny drain. Then after that, drain the pan once a year and top off. Every other year or so do a tranny flush only.

Bocomo

Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: question about transmission filter

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I have never thought about it in the way that Hanr3 has stated, but for the price of the filter (especially if you are dropping the pan), why not... I do agree that there shouldn't be all that much crap to clog up the filter especially considering that the magnet in the pan should catch anything that could damage the filter itself.

I must say though, I have never heard of anyone not replacing the filter, EVER. It's a weird perspective, but it is sound.
I know what you mean. The norm used to be change the oil filter every other oil change. Now-a-days it is recommended to repplace the oil filter when you change the oil. Makes sense so I do it.

Forgot to answer the last question or so in the original post. A new tranny filter costs lest then $15 and it includes a new tranny pan gasket. Plus you wil need a drain plug, $3.50 at your local auto parts store. I used JB weld ($5) to permantely seal around the plug. I don't like tranny leaks. And you will need around 4-5 quarts of tranny fluid. roughly $2-$3 a quart. Get the GM version, not Fords. Yes this is something you can do yourself, its not hard and if you want some tips, ask for them. I'll be glad to post them up.