Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Quick Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Beginning Member
BeeLaser is on a distinguished road
Default ***Question Edited*

Determining wether its a Z or W. How could I do that now that the motor has been sent to scrap? I did find something on the firewall that says ZY1 But I dont know if that has any relevance to the motor being a Z or W. Thanks in advanced to any ideas...........

*Edited*

Thanks for the help.. Although I am still looking for answers I greatly appreciate the help.

Actually what I am looking for is to just get a motor into my 95 Blazer. And from what I've read through some links I am kind of confused I am just looking to get a 1995 S Blazer 2 door running. I got it with no motor. But I cannot find a 1995 4.3 Vortec only the others 96 97 94 etc etc. I am just curious..

I actually find a 1994 Blazer 4.3 Multiport Vortec whole truck runs great but no title. Now what would I need to do to put the motor out of this 94 into my 95. As far as wiring harness, motor mounts, etc.

Last edited by BeeLaser; 02-23-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the year, the designation for the engine code is located in the 8th digit of the VIN (vehicle identification number).

You might want to consider adding your vehicle information to your posts requesting tech help..

Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
95 blazer is on a distinguished road

the way you can tell what motor it was is look at the 8th digit of your vin if you have any more questions just ask

Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

if the motor is at the scrap yard, and you have access to the firewall... why not just look at the vin plate?

if that bad boy is gone, then if you can id what year it's from, you need 2002+

the difference is that it is multi-port injection designated as LU3. these came in:
Astro/Safari vans
Blazer/Jimmy, S10/Sonoma, Bravada, Hombre,
base model Silverado/Sierra Trucks
base model Express/Savana vans
if you know WHAT the engine came out of, that can help a bit...

wait wait wait... i re-read... you are not trying to find the late year 4.3L... you just want to make sure you are NOT getting an LB4 155hp Z from '95 right?

the older "Z" style has a metal upper plenum (instead of the composite plastic) the throttle body opens to the side (W is to the top) the engine will have a plastic dress piece that says "Vortec" on the old one...

what is the goal here? Are you trying to find a "Z", avoid a "Z", find an newer "W", locate an "X". I'm sorry if it's clear to others, but I'm confused by the ultimate goal here. You want to ID them, but which do you want? The ID stuff I put up about plastic this, and sideways that only works if it's mostly complete...

as for ID-ing heads, you would have to talk to someone more knowledgeable as i would just pull up images of the two and try tofind a difference

**EDIT** took to long, others got there first

Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help.. Although I am still looking for answers I greatly appreciate the help.

Actually what I am looking for is to just get a motor into my 95 Blazer. And from what I've read through some links I am kind of confused I am just looking to get a 1995 S Blazer 2 door running. I got it with no motor. But I cannot find a 1995 4.3 Vortec only the others 96 97 94 etc etc. I am just curious..

I actually find a 1994 Blazer 4.3 Multiport Vortec whole truck runs great but no title. Now what would I need to do to put the motor out of this 94 into my 95. As far as wiring harness, motor mounts, etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member

Anything?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A 94 motor should be practically identical to your '95. The only exception that I can think of depends on whether your '95 has a CKP (crankshaft position) sensor in it.