Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member
banshee386 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quick question

I have a 95 blazer 4.3 4x4 vin w my problem is my cat pluged and i dont want to run one on it how can i bypass the o2 senser
just leave it pluged in and fill in the gap from the cat not being there with pipe ? or what

Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: quick question

If the O2 sensor is unplugged, the Check Engine light will be on. If you have it in there without a cat, it will be on.

Why not just do the right thing and replace it. The universal units are not that expensive.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

i removed my cat on my 97. i got a adapter off of ebay, and it works just fine. just do a search for a cel eliminator. it is a spacer that screws into your pipe, then your sensor screws into it(dont get anything electrical). try to find a 2 piece one, they just are a little easier to work with. i had to tap on my floorboard with a hammer to make enough room for it to fit. but it is worth it. they are cheap and work. good luck with it.

i ran a piece of rebar through mine.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh... Not to mention that removing a catalytic converter from a vehicle originally equiped with one is a federal crime... The CEL eliminators are illegal for anything but offroad only as well. Good luck. This is something that is being cracked down on more and more everyday. The hassle is far more of a pain than just doing the work required the PROPER way.

And you want to know the best part about what happens when you just hollow out a catalytic converter... You actually get DECREASED performance due to the large expansion chamber that you just created for all of the exhaust gasses to go through, expand, cool, become more dense, and slow down! Not something you want in an exhaust system.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
banshee386 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok how do i use a universal cat cause the one i have is a direct fiting one with the long pipe comin from behind it to connect to the muffler

Old 04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Administrator

For a universal cat, you will cut out the old one and either clamp or weld in the universal replacement.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that I am suggesting anything but we had a bunch of theifs who stole hundreds of catalytic converters from undernieth cars...........Dang they must have got mine too

Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Sorry, still doesn't work... Might (VERY slim chance) keep you from the federal/state fines but I doubt it. Still would require you to fix it properly. Why go through the hassle for... What exactly? A butt dyno 5hp?