Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rear Pinion Replacement? (96')

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM
chvygirl84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Pinion Replacement? (96')

While fixing my cracked radiator saturday my husband and I noticed a small leak from the rear end. Upon further investigation it appears I have a Rear Pinion leaking. Now, here's what I'm unsure of - are there seals or is it the actual bearing? and second how hard of a job is this? (beginning, amateur, etc.) and last are there any DIY instructions listed here? (I looked but am still kind of new) - Thanks-you everyone!

what sucks is that it's an $8.00 part and we have to disassemble the entire rear axle!!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rear Pinion Replacement? (96)

You do not have to dismantle the entire rear axle to replace the pinion seal. It is just a lip seal. You do have to remove the pinion yoke though.

You really need to have an air impact gun to do this fast and easy like. Start by removing the driveshaft. Then note the number of threads that stick out beyond the pinion nut and mark the nut and pinion shaft with an alignment mark (use a punch to create two dimples, one on the pinion shaft and one on the nut that line up with each other or just use a paint pen to draw a line). With the alignment marks done, remove the pinion nut, then the pinion yoke should slide off. Use a screw driver to remove the old lip seal. You can use a small hammer to install the new seal, but you have to be careful. I use a large socket or a piece of heavy wall tubing to hit against to force the new seal in.

Reinstall the yoke and the pinion nut tightening it down until the previously created marks align and the proper number of threads are shown on the end of the pinion shaft.

Done.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:29 PM
chvygirl84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rear Pinion Replacement? (96)

Awesome. I'm going to print off your directions and try to do some more searches, or at least buy a Haynes manual. I'm hoping to get this project done before the winter hits.
Thank-you for your time.